+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: identify this on gearbox please

Default identify this on gearbox please

This is the bit where the clutch slave cylinder fits onto , when you press the clutch pedal this bit squeezes the slave cylinder & you can see the boot squeeze together enabling gear selection , what is this bit ? i have a feeling this is the problem im having as cant get car into gear , slight play on it when i press it in with my hand, doesnt feel smooth at all in its operation
    so what is it and what does it do , what part does it play on the gearbox and can they bey fixed if theres a problem

this is a follow on to my thinking i had clutch slave cylinder problems
    imgonline-com-ua-CompressToSize-pD6aR1jPLiMTV.jpg

It’s the couch fork , what’s matter with it ?

If you need one I have one

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    If you need one I have one
    not sure what wrong trek , ive taken the old slave cylinder off and there seems to be a bit of play up down on it , just slightly , doesnt feel right , im wondering if this is why the car wouldnt go into gear , the old slave cylinder looks ok ive been inside it and all looks well , maybe the clutch has gone i just dont know

the slight play is from the clutch fork not the slave cylinder

after i took the slave cylinder off i can move the clutch fork in out with my hand it travels about inch and a half ish and there is slight play up down , feels rough

i got in the car the other day and when i pressed the clutch pedal down i felt something go , from then on couldnt get car into gear with the engine running

clutch pedal felt weak with little force needed to press it down when you pressed it but still returned up, could mean the clutch is gone i suppose

That fork should locate on a little ball in the Bell housing , it pivots on that point to force thrust bearing into clutch pressure plate So ball or thrust bearing possibly , if you have a borescope or similar you can get a cam in and look , possibly it’s just come off the ball when the slave has failed , not sure

I have pm s turned on and email so if you need any advice pm me or email me ... it’s possibly a gearbox out job , depends how long clutch has been in , it may be easier that way

I have pm s turned on and email so if you need any advice pm me or email me ... itís possibly a gearbox out job , depends how long clutch has been in , it may be easier that way
    Cheers Trek , will be taking it to the garage , cant do a clutch myself dont have the expertise or the tools or anywhere to do it so thats out and i dont have the money either , will need to wait till i get some
    i dont think the slave cylinder failed after ive looked at it inside , all looks intact and wasnt leaking , car has over 130k on the clock , doubt its ever had a new clutch in its life and to be fair to the car it was getting a bit notchy going into gear , ill put the new slave cylinder on see if that sorts it , if not then its off the road until i can afford to sort it,
    ive done so much on this car over the last few years its a crying shame to let it go now and it recently passed its mot so a full mot also , ill keep you posted and thankyou for the offer of the fork much appreciated.
    will let you and the forum know what i find and how i get on

Cheers Trek

Trek am i right in thinking the gt clutches dont operate by a clutch cable attaching to the clutch fork , is it all done by hydraulics pipes etc ?

Hydraulic clutch set up , on these cars

Hydraulic clutch set up , on these cars
    Just checking i have this right , the key elements on the clutch are as follows on the gt

clutch pedal push rod which attaches obviously to the clutch pedal, ( not sure what this consists of or if there could be a problem with this,all i can see is a piston which moves forward when you press the clutch pedal,anyone know what this consists of any ideas thoughts would be good )

slave cylinder ( ive taken this off all looks ok inside and out , no leaks )

master cylinder fluid reservoir

main clutch assembly inside the bell housing , pressure plate, clutch plate,clutch bearing, flywheel etc etc

So , my clutch problem has to be one of those 3 key areas, am i thinking right here ?????

sorry 4 key areas i cant add up

apparently this is the master cylinder which is on the clutch pedal itself , not sure

could this be my problem i wonder ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Clutc...YAAOSwxfhbkQoa

Quote Originally Posted by c2gt16 View Post
    apparently this is the master cylinder which is on the clutch pedal itself , not sure

could this be my problem i wonder ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-Clutc...YAAOSwxfhbkQoa
    ive had a look to see if i can see this part and i cant , anyone know where its located exactly in front of the firewall ?

Trek i think i may have sussed the problem , see above posts , i think its the master cylinder that is on the clutch pedal , i heard a clicking from that area when the clutch first went , hope its this , will let you know how i get on

located clutch pedal master cylinder , if you look past the screen washer bottle its poking out the firewall , now i need to get it off the clutch pedal , shouldnt be too difficult ,clamp and unclip feed pipe and undo hard line
    unclip piston from clutch pedal inside car , the master cylinder should come out with a quarter turn to the left i reckon , refit bleed the system and hope for the best

Clutch update - replaced slave cylinder and bled system , same problem so the slave cylinder wasnt at fault,has the same clang clang noise coming from the clutch fork area , its a gearbox out job and new clutch , happy days in motoring

I have pm s turned on and email so if you need any advice pm me or email me ... itís possibly a gearbox out job , depends how long clutch has been in , it may be easier that way
    tried to dm you but says your dm,s are off trek

Gearbox out , new clutch , as you says it’s been in a while

Gearbox out , new clutch , as you says itís been in a while
    yep looks like it needs a new clutch Trek , it obviously wont release the diaphragm to enable gear selection , i can only see one area to bleed the clutch and thats on the slave cylinder so have done that and same problem , clutch pedal cylinder has no leaks and nothing else is leaking , only thoughts were air in the system but ive bled the lot so it must be the clutch

damn blast and bugger damn blast , oh well the joys of motoring in an old car continue

A clutch is something that will always wear on manual gearbox car , how fast depends on the driver , riding the clutch at traffic lights etc etc , it’s a friction material , like brakes , that requires replacement on a 3-5 yearly average basis , some cars doing motorway ,or long distance work , interval is longer , town driving all the time , then it shortens
    Even Some 3 year old cars require a clutch replacement , it’s not an old car only job ,

+ Reply to Thread