+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C2 Normally aspirated tuning.....

Default C2 Normally aspirated tuning.....

Hi guys, another thread explaining the basics of c2 tuning without the use of a turbo or supercharger....

Basically ive split this into 3 main category's, standard ecu, standalone with stock bottom end, and full forged....

Standard ecu

This is the most common route taken by people wanting a bit more power from the c2 on a budget, as there are some decent gains to be had for fairly small expense. Obviously everyone goes for a cat back exhaust and some form of air intake, which generally doesnt improve power a huge amount, on a good engine your looking at a few bhp at best.
    -----The next step at this level is a decat 4 branch manifold, increasing gas flow hugely by removing the restrictive cat and also by using a high flow manifold design, this is one of the best bang for buck mods available for the c2, with prices staring at 160 for a sportex manifold, ranging to 400 for a better designed piper. All of which give good gains, but usually gains marginally increase with price.
    -----For VTR/GT owners this is a good time to be swapping to a VTS inlet, a better flowing design and slightly larger injectors sets the intake up nicely for the next stage.
    -----After this the best option is to fit a set of higher lift cams, in conjunction with a remap, this takes full advantage of the now better flowing intake and exhaust system, and gives a good jump in performance and with all the above mods you will be seeing in the region of 155bhp. From us a drive in drive out cams and remap package using Newman Ph3 cams comes in at a reasonable 900, including the cams, gates timing belt kit, cam seals, labour and a dyno mapping session.
    ----- It is possible to go a little further at this point to go for 165+ bhp, by going for a port and polish of the cylinder head, but it really is pushing the limits of what the standard ecu can handle, and at this stage for the cost of the headwork vs the gains which are marginal, we advise to go for the next stage directly.

Standalone Management / standard block

Generally id advise to be swapping to standalone management when wanting to pass the 160bhp mark, the main reason for this is to allow for a more accessible and flexible ecu, which can cater for almost any engine setup you could want to run. The reason a standard ecu is pretty useless is down to how the ecu programming works, some OEM ecu's are brilliant for modding, some arent. In the case of the c2 ecu's the options when mapping are limited, even more so in the case of the GT's, which use what is basically a glorified 3 plug saxo ecu.

-----DTA S40 ecu, this is what we recommend as a replacement for the c2's, they come in at 525 from DTA including the plug for the wiring loom, and for the price, are a very capable ecu with plenty of built in functions. Many of the functions are things you will never really notice unless they weren't there, such as being able to control idle using ignition advance/retard. On some other ecu's where this isn't available, and you dont have an idle valve, the result is having to hold the revs up for 20-30 seconds after cold start to stop it cutting out, and a changing idle dependent on environment change. Also things like overheat protection, where the engine will be shutdown completely if a preset temp limit is passed, with a warning from the shift lights as water temp comes close to shutdown point.... Basically just a better all round level of quality, aswell as the expected toys like launch control, shift light ect.
    ----- Custom wiring loom, wiring looms can be made to suit the c2 for pretty much any ecu, and we offer 4 cylinder looms for 250, which includes all the necessary wiring and connectors to run a DTA on a c2, and for that matter pretty much any car.
    ----- Throttle Bodies, once the standard ecu has been replaced, throttle bodies become a fairly straightforward job. Basically requiring the bodies themselves, a cable throttle pedal and cable kit, air filters and/or trumpets, and a couple of sensors. Throttle bodies on their own don't add a huge amount of top end power, but will greatly change the way a cammed c2 drives via increased throttle response and improved mid-range power and torque. Expect to be seeing 160-165 with Newman ph3 cams and a throttle body setup. Prices generally range from 750-1200 for a set of throttle bodies, depending on brand. We also offer a set of converted ZX6-R throttle bodies, which have been used on spooners C2 VTS with good effect, producing 167bhp in conjunction with a set of GMC ultimate fast road cams and DTA ecu.
    -----As with the final step on standard management, you can push further at this point by going for cylinder head porting and/or oversize valves, it is however a more viable option at this point as the next level of work involves a full engine build. Expect to be seeing 170+bhp if you go for a ported head and 180+bhp with a fully worked head with oversized valves. Prices for head porting come in at around 500 (exchange) for a fully ported head, 700 (exchange) for a ported head with oversize exhaust valves, and just under 1000 (exchange) for a full race head with inlet and exhaust valves oversized. Valve sizes are increased 0.5mm on the inlet side and 2mm on the exhaust side.

Forged High Compression engine

(i'll finish this later )
    Last edited by SeniorGT; 01-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Full Member GavinW28 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    VTS

I'm interested in reading more! Haha

Detailing Oracle Loeb 55 is on a distinguished road Loeb 55's Avatar
    C2 Model
    #55 red loeb

That's answered alot of questions I was curious about and for about the same price as everything there it's probably best going for the entry level turbo conversion I should imagine

Full Member Science_VTS is on a distinguished road Science_VTS's Avatar
    C2 Model
    VTS

Quality info!

Full Member MarcCode is on a distinguished road MarcCode's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 Code

Just when it started getting interesting... I could feel the suspense and excitement building throughout, who needs that 50 shades crap

Lite Member Osian23 is on a distinguished road Osian23's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 VTS

900 for cams and stuff hmmm time to get saving....what mpg are expected after cams and remap?

Trader CubeCarCleaning is on a distinguished road CubeCarCleaning's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 VTS

if you're honestly contemplating mpg after cams and mapping then cams and mapping isnt for you

Full Member Sam FR is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    Leon FR 1.8T

Cams=more fuel being let in constantly so more fuel usage = 20-30 mpg range?
    C2 VTS Owned
    Time to get Modding!

Lite Member Osian23 is on a distinguished road Osian23's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 VTS

not to bad seeing as i only get 30 on average now

Full Member Sam FR is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    Leon FR 1.8T

If your only getting 30 now you'll be on low 20s then lol
    C2 VTS Owned
    Time to get Modding!

Full Member P4cman is on a distinguished road P4cman's Avatar
    C2 Model
    07 VTS

As a newbie C2 owner this is a very informative thread, thanks.

C2 Model
    C2 Code

dear senior
    how long do you need the car to fit the cams, map, etc.
    currently considering summer engine mods and i hear you're the best in the business

Quote Originally Posted by MarcCode View Post
    dear senior
    how long do you need the car to fit the cams, map, etc.
    currently considering summer engine mods and i hear you're the best in the business
    Hi bud, for the cams and map pack your looking at an overnight stay, it is possible to do same day but we dont like to rush jobs. So generally drop car off at 9.30 pick car up the following day at 3ish. Gives us time to run the car on the dyno in the morning. If you were to have a manifold done at the same time it would probably be the same sort of timescale.

James.

C2 Model
    C2 Code

Humour me a bit buddy, I have a full miltek system and cold air feed induction, for 2000 what power could I be looking at and what mods? I'm thinking cams( with pulleys ect), standalone ecu with loom, porting and polishing... Maybe a lightened flywheel. Anything else to recommend? Drop me a pm if you please. Just trying to make a plan and weigh up my options but other than obvious things I'm a bit clueless and after reading the turbo thread I realise I know nothing haha

+ Reply to Thread