+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to replace rear bushing

Default How to replace rear bushing

All,
    Both my C2 VTS and my C3 VTR have rear beam bushing perished. Need to replace. Workshop charge me 4 hours of labour (they want to remove the crossmember to pull out the bushing)

Is it possible to replace tham without removing completely the rear suspension ?
    I mean: if I jack up the car both sides to lift rear wheels (wheels and shock absorber removed), than unbolt one bush, can I bend the rear crossmember to free the bushing and pull it out with the extraction tool ?
    Should I plan to replace the spring retainer or spring cup also? Do they perish over time ?

Thanks
    M.

It’s easier with the rear axle dropped out , the old bushes are rubber encased in a hard plastic sleeve with a central sleeve which the bolt locates through
    I have replaced several myself ( in the back yard, )
    Drop the axle out complete , just remove handbrake cables at handle end , drop rear shocks top bolts out , clamp off rear brake flexys, and disconnect, you will have to drop exhaust as well as it has to be removed ,you can put the wheels back on if you want to roll it out as it’s easier sometimes ,just depends on how you are doing it , remove the axle complete with the chassis mounting brackets (3 bolts a side)remove the chassis mount bracket centre bolt taking note of any spacers or shims ( use your phone and take pictures of each side so you know how it goes back together.)
    ~I replaced the old bushes with the blue powerflex ones , just run a drill up the edge of the bush so you split the outer case( try to keep of the axle metal , they can then be knocked out easily with a hammer ,

Thanks a lot.
    I wanted to avoid to disconnect brake pipes, clamp them and take off the entire beam, but I will do as you recommend !

Thanks
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by mmd78 View Post
    Thanks a lot.
    I wanted to avoid to disconnect brake pipes, clamp them and take off the entire beam, but I will do as you recommend !

Thanks
    Marco
    Itís easier , cheaper and quicker than mucking about and at least you know itís been done properly , donít forget to disconnect the abs rear sensors ( if you have them) plugs/sockets are near the rigid/flexís pipe joint either side of the axle front mounting bracket ....

+ Reply to Thread