+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suspension knock.

Member Regular Poster macfie is on a distinguished road macfie's Avatar
    C2 Model
    VTS 2009

Default Suspension knock.

OK, I have a suspension knock on my C2 VTS 2009. Car is very low mileage 28k, passed recent MOT no advisories. Knock at very low speeds on bumpy, uneven surfaces (the road where I live is very poor). Knock appears to be from O/S but that's the side I sit! Both front springs replaced at different times and recent drop links. Car handles well, no vibration from steering, transmission or braking.
    macfie.. It's still yes.

sounds like bottom ball joint or track rod end or maybe top mount will be likely one of those usual suspects , possibly inner tie rod but i doubt that , start car and turn your steering wheel side to side sharply ,see if you can hear any clonking , if not then its likely bottom ball joint of track rod end

C2 Model
    VTS 2009

Thanks for that but top mounts and track rod end seem fine. Bottom ball joint possibly. I'll check it again with a lever. Thought MOT might have showed up something but then a failing item is not necessarily a fail. I was a tester in my youth!
    macfie.. It's still yes.

I had just the same as you the car handles fine no wandering on steering and top mount seemed fine took it to my local garage they took it on road test and came back and said top mount, replaced it and that cured it.
    Happy chap.

C2 Model
    VTS 2009

Default Update

For anyone who may be interested my suspension knock turned out to be a worn droplink on the nearside. Sitting in the driver's seat it sounded to be very much from the offside.
    The droplinks were replaced not so long ago too so there you go. Never rule out anything on a car just because it's newish. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised when I consider the state of the roads where I live.
    macfie.. It's still yes.

Quote Originally Posted by macfie View Post
    For anyone who may be interested my suspension knock turned out to be a worn droplink on the nearside. Sitting in the driver's seat it sounded to be very much from the offside.
    The droplinks were replaced not so long ago too so there you go. Never rule out anything on a car just because it's newish. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised when I consider the state of the roads where I live.
    good you solved the problem , happy days

+ Reply to Thread