+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.6 THP Intercooler on a 1.4 HDİ? With it's fan?

Default 1.6 THP Intercooler on a 1.4 HDİ? With it's fan?

Hello from Turkey.

I apologize for my poor English before I write down my questions.

Today I purchased an intercooler from the 1.6 THP engine. Got it together with the fan at a very reasonable price. I want to put it on my 1.4 Hdi C2. It's very similar to the 1.6 Hdi and 16-valve 1.4 Hdi engines without a fan. But i have the fan and i want it to be worked syncronized with the radiator fan.

It can be seen on the right. It's from 207 RC or GTI I guess.

And this is the fan itself without the fan.

This is the fan, it can be removed, but as i said, I want to use it actually.

Anyone here that fitted the 1.6 THP intercooler into the C2's panel with it's fan? Where can i attach the cables ?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Just use the c3 1.6 hdi intercooler and hose set up , the Citroen c2front panel has a space to slot this cooler in (U.K. cars do)

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

Just splice the positives from each motor together then the negatives together? Light colours are typically positive and dark colours are typically negative. If you get the polarity wrong and the motor runs backward, just swap the wires over. They are only DC motors. If you want to make up a wiring harness, some of these connectors are available on Ebay (look up electro valve connector or knock sensor connector or throttle sensor connector, you get the idea). Or raid your local breakers for similar connectors. Some of these connectors can be found on other car manufacturers cars. Having said all of that, using the coolant temperature (the thermo fan) to switch the intercooler fan on and off might not be the best idea. There may be times when the thermo fan may not kick in at all (like at speed on the highway) but the turbo is working hard. Then, the times the thermo fan does kick in (stationary at the traffic lights) the turbo is not really working. You could use an aftermarket thermo fan controller to detect when the intercooler outlet gas is getting hot and switch the fan that way? I would guess that on the GTI, that little fan is controlled by the engine ECU and runs when the engine is under load.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    Just use the c3 1.6 hdi intercooler and hose set up , the Citroen c2front panel has a space to slot this cooler in (U.K. cars do)
    Yeah, EU cars do too. This cooler has the same size with 1.6 hdi cooler. It's hose mounts are different, and it has a fan. I can deattach the fan by the way, but i want to use fan effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by ozVTR View Post
    Just splice the positives from each motor together then the negatives together? Light colours are typically positive and dark colours are typically negative. If you get the polarity wrong and the motor runs backward, just swap the wires over. They are only DC motors. If you want to make up a wiring harness, some of these connectors are available on Ebay (look up electro valve connector or knock sensor connector or throttle sensor connector, you get the idea). Or raid your local breakers for similar connectors. Some of these connectors can be found on other car manufacturers cars. Having said all of that, using the coolant temperature (the thermo fan) to switch the intercooler fan on and off might not be the best idea. There may be times when the thermo fan may not kick in at all (like at speed on the highway) but the turbo is working hard. Then, the times the thermo fan does kick in (stationary at the traffic lights) the turbo is not really working. You could use an aftermarket thermo fan controller to detect when the intercooler outlet gas is getting hot and switch the fan that way? I would guess that on the GTI, that little fan is controlled by the engine ECU and runs when the engine is under load.
    I have fog light's connectors, these will work for me. Thanks for the advice! I will chech the ECU from Sedre if I can find anything that gives electricity when the IAT or EGT is high. I dont think that HDi does have a system like that. But aftermarket thermo controller would work as you said, but i have to place a sensor in order to determine the heat of the outlet gas.

At first i'll be busy with placing the cooler. I'm gonna pipe them later. In turkey, the silicon or chrome hoses are unbelievably expensive, so I have to figure out which material for piping them.

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

I used the old Lasertec to find the pin outs of the the connectors in my C2 to convert the genuine Citroen aftermarket alarm into a factory alarm. Some parts of the wiring were already in the loom but other bits weren't. So I know where you are going. It's possible the fan speed controller is part of the engine ECU as you say.
    Good luck.

Thanks for reccomendations. Today I have mounted the cooler to the front panel. Haven't piped yet and thinking how im going to figure out the distance of the cooler with turbos housing. At the moment im pretty sure it will touch to the turbos housing when im gonna mount the pipes.

At first I got my AC's gas renewed. I went to local mechanics, a friend of mine and removed the bumper etc.

Then we removed the front bumper bracket. And then the panel. Went to a bodyshop and asked if I can use their air powered saw. He gently helped me for free.

Since it has bigger sizes than original, we had to cut more than we think, but it fit nice.

You can see my problem here, the intake ports of the coolers are really close to the turbo's protection. I dont want to remove that, will figure out how can I solve this.

Also its too close to the oil dipstick as well. Maybe I can shave it a little bit from the top.

Now its time for piping. Couldnt find any 45 degreed pipes in here. Will search for sure.

EML-L09 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

by the way, I had to remove that fan. unfortunately the compressor of the A/C touched the fan so I removed it.

+ Reply to Thread