+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote locking/unlocking not working

Default Remote locking/unlocking not working

I have a 2005 C2 VTR. Recently I managed to lose the chip of the key. Don't ask. I took the car to a local locksmith. He got me a new chip and programmed it to the car, but since then the remote cannot lock or unlock the car.
    When the button is pressed there is a clicking sound coming from the fuse box under the dash, the radio make sound like its trying to eject the cd and a noise comes from behind the instrument cluster, but nothing happens at
    the doors. The center console button still works fine. I got a secondhand fuse box from a friend and put that in the car with the remote from that car and with that the door can lock and unlock with that
    remote. Off course the car cannot be started with that in it. What could be the problem in my fuse box?

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

The bit that doesn't make sense is that you can lock/unlock the doors from the button in the dash. The only assumption I can make I that the guy didn't program the keys properly. It's possible there is a problem with the BSI but the coincidence that it just so happened to fail right after the guy fiddles around with the keys is not right in my opinion. Have you gone through the key programing steps in the owners manual?
    I don't know if you know but the key contains three security devices. The blade (the actual key part for the lock). The "chip", the bit that is used to unlock the engine ECU. The RF transmitter, the bit used to unlock the car. The chip and transmitter are programed in different ways. You can programme the transmitter but without a LEXIA you cant program the chip.

Yes I am aware of this. The programming of the chip worked just fine. Like I said , if I fit another Citroen's fuse box (the one under the dash) the remote of that car will lock and unlick my car, so problem has to be in the fuse box.

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

Ok, we are at the edge of my knowledge here, I do not know how the RF signal from the key remote is processed by the BSI. You said there was a clicking from the BSI when you pushed the fob button. This leads me to think the BSI is at least receiving and trying to process this request. The alarming thing is you say the CD player does something at the same time? Is it an aftermarket CD player? If it’s an aftermarket, CD have you tried removing it and doing a BSI reset? I know if you remove the stock CD player it can play havoc with central locking. If you have changed anything in the electrics try putting it back.
    Assuming you haven’t changed anything just before this happened, everything was going swimmingly and this just randomly happened, you can try a couple of things.
    1) The BSI has two circuit boards in it, one upper and one lower. The upper contains the fuses and relays and the lower is full of integrated circuits. The circuit cards are joined by connectors that “poke” through holes in the opposite circuit card. This is really dodgy and these connections can fail to make electrical contact. You can try soldering the connections.
    2) The usual suspect is the door lock relay on the upper board but it seems that you can lock the doors from the centre console button, so it doesn’t seem to be that. If you still have the “other” BSI that you talked about you could try swapping the upper boards. The VIN, the engine security code and the mileage are stored on the lower board.
    3) Remove and swap the security EEPROM from the two BSI’s…no? Didn’t think so. J
    By the way, if you have swapped the BSI’s you may have found your odometer reading has changed. If you are lucky the other BSI HAD lower mileage. In that case your odometer mileage won’t have changed but the second BSI now has your mileage! The BSI and clocks talk to each other and they change to the highest value.

I just read your reply. Thought I would receive an email if there was a reply.

I will try that with the fuse box. By the way the noise I thought was the cd player
    comes from behind the instrument cluster. I do not know what the othetr cars
    mileage was, but mine did not change. I am fortunate in a way. The light switch
    of the drivers door is faulty, so I can lock the car with the center button while the
    drivers door is open and then just close it and the car is locked.

+ Reply to Thread