+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abs Esp light on when fuel light is on

Default Abs Esp light on when fuel light is on

Hi
    I noticed that all the time the fuel reserve light is on the small triangle for abs/esp failure pops up.

In other condition it never showed up.

I think this is an electric gremlin and I can cope with it but I was wandering if there are any quick fix for this.

Does anyone know ?

I had this problem, it was due to the Upstream Oxygen Sensor being faulty. What was happening was the car was under the belief that there was a misfire during a low fuel level, as the sensor was not reading correctly the car decided to declare the problem in a magical way. Did you have an anti-pollution warning at point, if so check your log history to see if you have had an Upstream Oxygen Sensor fault or misfire detected during low fuel level.

If this is the case it is important that you do not buy a cheap sensor especially if your engine is modified as they tend to melt. Unfortunately the OEM ones form Robbins and Day cost 165, therefore try to wait for a sale at an aftermarket retailer.

There is no gremlin, the can bus commands often get interrupted by fault devices and translate into strange warnings. If it's not your Lambda sensor then check your log history for other faulty devices which could cause the manifestation of this warning light.

Thanks for answer.
    I dont have any fault in memory and never had a check engine.
    Anyway I do have a spare lambda sensor and I will replace it (car has 210.000km now)

Will let you know !

M.

Did it work? I am interested as I want to know emphatically what this problem is?

Sorry if my suggestion didn't work.

Hello
    I replaced both lambda when I had the tank full. I'm waiting to get down to reserve and let you know (possibily this week)

Hello Bash
    Nope...it was not the lambda. Today I run out of gas and had the esp lamp on yet again.
    I think this is one of the electric gramlins we need to cope with...

Thanks for helping
    Marco

The car is definitely trying to tell you something. If you have access to Lexia take a look in your fault history log for anything that seems strange, even an intermittent fault could have caused the engine management or ABS/ESP system to go into a default mode and cause this light to come on under low fuel levels.

Or just keep your tank full

Bash,
    my car is trying to tell me ... nothing !
    It happend agian, I scanned with Lexia and no hystoric fault appeared in any unit.
    I have also managed to scan ESP, Dashboard, BSI, ECU, etc.etc when the lamp was on.... again nothing...

this is an electric gramlin....

Quote Originally Posted by mmd78 View Post
    Bash,
    my car is trying to tell me ... nothing !
    It happend agian, I scanned with Lexia and no hystoric fault appeared in any unit.
    I have also managed to scan ESP, Dashboard, BSI, ECU, etc.etc when the lamp was on.... again nothing...

this is an electric gramlin....
    i think the poster before is right the car is trying to tell you something , i dont think its a serious problem if your car is running as it should , could be a daft gremlin though as you say , maybe a circuit board connection fault from manufacture , i know from experience that when my indicator and light stalks that sit in the steering column started to act up , the box that connects them all went haywire and drained the battery and turned the car horn on by itself even with the key removed from the ignition , not saying its this but sounds like a one of those gremlins you speak of , itll be something ridiculously simple to fix but its finding it , good luck keep us posted if you find the gremlin

ill add also , does your car make a beeping sound when your low fuel level light comes on ?

Yes it does beep when get to reserve.
    What is surpsising is that even with the esp light on, there are no fault stored anywhere.
    My conclusion is that is nothing serious as all works fine.

The first time it happens I thout it was something failing but now Im ok to cope with that !

thats a strange one , not really sure why the esp comes on then goes off when you fill the tank , but if everything is running fine then i wouldnt sweat it

Catch it !
    This f**cking son of a bi/#& is a " comunication problem with ECU valid data" set on ESP module.
    This happen only in fuel reserve AND with aftermarket stereo turned on AND with the phone charger plugged in the cigarette lighter socket.

With radio off or phone charger unplugged there is no issue.

Definetely nothing to worry about. It is an electric glitch..

Now sorted ! Thanks to all of you for helping

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmd78 View Post
    " comunication problem with ECU valid data"
    Did you find this with a LEXIA?
    Has the factory radio been "removed" from the system or is it still "installed"?

Hi
    Yes I got it with lexia. I do have an aftermarket radio. My car was built with no radio, only speakers.
    I suspect more the phone charger but also with other battery charger the "probelm" is still there.

I was able to locate one old dusty filter for the radio (used back in the 80s) to shield spark plug noise to the radio.
    Installed on the cigarette lighter ground wire and probelm disapperared (it still persist if I plug the filter on the +12)

Electric gremiln killed !

+ Reply to Thread