+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering Problems, Possible Rack ECU / Motor?

Hybrid View

Newbie TMath123 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    VTS

Default Steering Problems, Possible Rack ECU / Motor?

I've posted a few times about this issue and have not had any real luck in getting it sorted. I've had a mechanic look at it multiple times and he says there is nothing obvious wrong, or anything broken etc..

After doing a bit of searching on here I've noticed quite a few have problems with the steering rack, I was hoping someone could shed some light on wether they think its worth me changing me ECU / Motor

Main symptoms
    • Awful turning at low speeds, feels like no power steering at all at times
    • Wobble in steering wheel, feels as if the steering wheel isn't connected properly
    • Pulls horrendously either side, mostly to the left however
    • noises whilst turning at low speed
    • sometimes it is worse than others, which really confuses me. I got in it about 2 months ago to find no problem at all, then the next day the issue was back

Do you guys think it would be worth replacing the ECU / Motor before changing the whole rack? I've read on here changing the motor isn't that hard, neither the ECU however the entire rack I can image is quite tricky

C2 Model
    VTS

EDIT

I also have quite mild vibration in the wheel, but when holding wheel in one place on say an elongated roundabout, the vibration gets very severe and shakes the entire car

Check you suspension and top mounts

C2 Model
    VTS

I had 2 front struts and top mounts put on around 5k ago. Pretty sure I remember my mechanic mentioning the springs were in good condition when he changed them. does my problem sound like its not the rack?

C2 Model
    VTS

Have just looked through your top mount posts from a few years back and after comparing part numbers I think I ordered the wrong parts off autodoc (needed 5038 F5 ordered 5038 91). theres me thinking putting in my car make & model it would only show me parts that fit it obviously not

Anyway I presume this could be the problem? what will having the wrong top mount do to the steering, could it be causing all the symptoms I mentioned above?

Only difference between the top mounts is the locating pin location (one type has an offset from centreline pin , other type have the pin on the centreline) , It’s easy to tell which ones you should have , order to suit , as per the post locating pins face towards the inner wings

C2 Model
    VTS

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    Only difference between the top mounts is the locating pin location (one type has an offset from centreline pin , other type have the pin on the centreline) , Itís easy to tell which ones you should have , order to suit , as per the post locating pins face towards the inner wings
    Okay thanks Iíll have a look tomorrow. Could having the wrong locating pin be the reason for all the symptoms I mentioned? I donít really want to spend another £60 if the only difference itís goin to make is the place it sits. Already put a lot of money into trying to fix it

If you have the wrong top mounts they won’t fit properly , not good ,

C2 Model
    VTS

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    If you have the wrong top mounts they won’t fit properly , not good ,
    Okay mate thanks for the help I'll look at getting them changed. My mechanic fitted the top mounts so I only just noticed they sent me SNR when I ordered Bilstein. Autocarparts for anyone interested reading this thread.

C2 Model
    VTS

Quote Originally Posted by TMath123 View Post
    Okay mate thanks for the help I'll look at getting them changed. My mechanic fitted the top mounts so I only just noticed they sent me SNR when I ordered Bilstein. Autocarparts for anyone interested reading this thread.
    Sorry not autocarparts, Autopartspro

+ Reply to Thread