+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swap engine or rebuild?

Unhappy Swap engine or rebuild?

Hi all,

My girlfriends first car (a 1.1 Furio) died on our drive home from visiting family earlier. The AA came out and diagnosed a cambelt issue. It hasn't snapped, but the cam pulley isn't turning when you try to start it, so it's possible the teeth have stripped or something has seized? Either way, it's not looking good. I'll have a better look tomorrow in the daytime.

Just looking at options for moving forwards. I'm a fairly competent hobbyist mechanic, and I'm undecided about rebuilding the top end, replacing the engine or scrapping the car.

I can get a new engine for about 100, but how quick/easy is it to replace?

How quick/easy is a rebuild?

Thank you! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope yours is slightly less eventful than mine!

Just replace , easiest way is put the car on stands , remove front bumper and rad pack , can be done without need for engine hoist using a trolley jack , fit a new clutch and cam belt to the engine you are fitting , plus oil and filter etc

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    Just replace , easiest way is put the car on stands , remove front bumper and rad pack , can be done without need for engine hoist using a trolley jack , fit a new clutch and cam belt to the engine you are fitting , plus oil and filter etc
    Okay cool, how long would you expect it to take? I did the E30 BMW engine swap in a weekend - two long days with a very experienced friend. I'm expecting this to be easier?

Default engine

i lifted one out with a hoist ,its a bit tight with the inlet manifold still on.
    came out with the gear box and back in with it on,new belt and clutch.

I've had a couple of people recommend just taking the head off, replacing any bent valves, and doing the timing belt. I'm thinking this may actually be less risky than buying an engine with unknown history and sticking that in? Also quicker and easier possibly?

Can't find the edit button..

I think I'm going to replace the entire head with one from a donor engine. That seems quicker/easier/safer than replacing the whole engine and less fiddly/expensive that replacing individual valves.

Default engine

look out for 2 bushes between the head and block when you lift it off,i threw the head gasket away once with one of them stuck in it.

I've stripped the current engine down to the point where I'm pretty much ready to remove the head. I took the belt cover off and sure enough it's stripped teeth on the belt. Doh!

The guides I'm following say I need to set the engine to TDC before removing the head but obviously it's all out of timing at the moment. Can I just remove the belt and head and adjust the cam/crank pulleys separately with a ratchet until the alignment holes for each line up?

Default engine

do not turn the crank with the head off,you will break the seal at the bottom of the cylinders.
    set the timing up and lock it or use white paint to mark it.but dont move the crank afterwards.

you can only move the crank if the liners are locked down.

+ Reply to Thread