+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sensordrive randem fault

Full Member i lunn is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.4 HDI VTR SENSODRIVE + Insignia + GLA + Grand Modus

Default sensordrive randem fault

ok for few weeks i am getting sensordrive issues, its randem the fault being no Auto but drives fine in manual mode (up & down changes) and changes down on its own even while in manual and I can use stick or paddles without any problem
    At first it seem to only do it when very damp weather and it drove fine again as soon as it dries up (no problem for the last month), now it seems to be when hot as this weekend, sometimes switch off engine and back on and its fine again. I have lexia but it shows no faults, I have replaced the speed sensor on the gearbox (just because i picked one up at a very good price) but still faulting.
    any ideas?

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

Do you mean if you put it in AUTO it just stays in the current gear and wont change up (automatically)? That's new.
    Mine changes down "automatically" while in manual to avoid stalling the engine but I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I am not that familiar with the sensodrive (who is?) but it might use engine load from the engine ECU to determine the change down point(?). Seems it doesn't use engine load it determine shift up point, if your observations are correct.
    Which speed sensor did you replace? There are two! The one at the back above the drive shafts is the vehicle speed sensor and the one on the top of the gearbox is the input speed sensor.
    You could try disconnecting the INPUT speed sensor connector and see if that registers on the LEXIA.
    Have you tried "moisture displacing" spray (WD-40 etc.) on the contacts of the connector on the gearbox ECU and the connector on the input speed sensor?
    Last edited by ozVTR; 09-05-2018 at 01:17 AM.

C2 Model

ref "Do you mean if you put it in AUTO it just stays in the current gear and wont change up (automatically)"
    Yes, also the display "manual/auto section" goes blank the sensor i changed was the one on top of g.box will have a look at the contacts on ECU and the other vehicle speed sensor, its been ok for last 2 days driving in full auto and I had it where it fixes itself while driving with the "auto" text returning on display, the text showing which gear it is in always shows.
    Last edited by i lunn; 09-05-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Hmm, dicky AUTO/MANUAL selector switch? If you select auto (when it fails) does it toggle or do nothing? Is yours a Mk1 or Mk2?

C2 Model

Quote Originally Posted by ozVTR View Post
    Hmm, dicky AUTO/MANUAL selector switch? If you select auto (when it fails) does it toggle or do nothing? Is yours a Mk1 or Mk2?
    Its Mk 1, when I try using manual/auto selector while operation is normal it toggles as it should but when it is in the problem condition the only thing it does is put the word "manual" on display on second press it just goes back to being blank. The other speed sensor above drive shafts that you mention Do you know which ecu it connects to as i cannot find it on the circuit diagram for g.box?

You may or may not have the vehicle speed sensor depending on your cars configuration. If it's there it will either go to the BSI or the engine ECU, again depending on the configuration. On some configurations this sensor is there but it's used by the engine ECU and is not used to "indicate" the speed. On most cars the vehicle speed comes from the ABS system (its more accurate). I am not familiar with all the combinations of models (particularly diesel) but if your car has ABS and has the vehicle speed sensor then the speed sensor should go to the engine ECU.

Do you mean it flashes AUTO for a second? At a guess the switch appears to be working. Did you try disconnecting the input speed sensor to see if it throws up an error?

Tried BSI/gearbox ECU reset?
    Last edited by ozVTR; 10-05-2018 at 10:33 PM.

C2 Model

Thanks ozVTR I have not had time as yet to disconnect sensor as its battery off then battery carrier to get to it, I,m trying to get the drawing for abs but after 4 attempts to get the Citreon electrical drawing software to run gave up as its temperamental and when crashes needs full computer reboot. I can see ABS input on gearbox drawing so I think next step is to car up on ramps,get ecu off and have carfull
    look at contacts, ect. I have had no problem all week so hopefully its a loose/dirty connection.
    Thinking also if the ABS system is giving the speed to gearbox I might as well look for any fault codes for ABS, is there any way to see Live Sensor data using Lexia?
    Last edited by i lunn; 12-05-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Yes, you can see live data but I'm not a LEXIA guru. PM Trek on that one.

If there was some sort of fault with the ABS then that would show up on your dash.

The best you can do ATM is poll the raw data from the gearbox ECU then wait for it to fail again and compare the two.

C2 Model

Hi OzVTR
    Well not been able to reply to any posts for getting on for a month now so as Forum is back up and running found the problem turned out to be random loss of brake signal.
    Thanks for your help.

Yes, wonder what happened to the forum?

Did you track down where the loss of signal was coming from? Wheel sensor, ECU etc? Was It too quick to register as an ABS fault but enough to cause the Sensodrive to drop out?

+ Reply to Thread