+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vts hdi. What to look out for?

Default Vts hdi. What to look out for?

Going to look at a 1.6 hdi tomorrow, is there anything to look out for engine wise?

I know of turbo problems but is there anything else to look out listen out for?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hi Chopper

I bought a 1.6 HDi VTS just over a year ago and it has been a great little car.
    No common faults that I know of but the 1.6 does have a DPF filter fitted, unlike the 1.4 HDi, which now have a much stricter testing as part of the MOT shake up this year.
    They are not allowed to emit any visible particles so watch out for this when you buy it.
    Rev it up and look out for particles/black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe as that would be a failure.

The DPF regenerates every so often automatically to clear itself out.
    I usually find it is around the 300 mile mark.
    This needs to be done on a motorway really so the engine is up to temperature and driving at a reasonable constant speed so it takes around 10 minutes to complete.
    You don't notice it happening on a long run but if you are driving around town you will.
    The first time it did a regen I was driving around town and it sounded like the exhaust was blowing and the timing was out as it was stuttering a bit.
    It is because the ECU alters the timing and injects a lot of extra fuel into the engine as part of the regen.
    As long as you give it a run up the motorway regularly you shouldn't have any problems.

Also the DPF uses a tank of Eloy fluid which is supposed to be topped up at around 70,000 miles but mine has 85,000 miles and hasn't come up with an error yet so not sure if it regens without it or the fluid just lasts longer.
    This Eloy fluid is expensive to get topped up as it is a garage job but you can get it bypassed in the ECU by someone who has diagnostic tools.
    The Eloy fluid just helps the DPF regen at a lower temperature but it will still work without it on a motorway run.

People used to physically remove the DPF to get around this but the new MOT guidelines will catch this now as the visible smoke particles will be detected as part of the test.

I also got the cambelt changed and replaced the gearbox and engine oil & fuel filter as you never know when these have been changed really so better not to take any chances.
    The fuel filter is in the engine compartment and very easy to change.

Regards

Andy

Few issues to look for - Leaking injector seal, listen for chuffing coming from them and carbon build up, you will need to pull the engine cover to check them. Turbo whine, O ring failure where the inlet pipe connects to rocker cover.

I bought mine a few months ago, I've replaced the turbo cartridge and vanes, had the turbo set up again on flow bench (needed if replacing vanes), replaced inj seals, which turned in to a mare as two would not come out, had to buy a puller to remove them.
    Removed inlet manifold as it was full of carbon, maybe 50% reduction in inlet size ! EGR blank, removed DPF and had it mapped by HDI tuning. Also took sump off and cleaned out the pick up pipe and replaced turbo feed pipe and removd the filter in the banjo bolt.

Half the service interval as well, every 12k is not enough for this engine. Hope I've not put you off !!

+ Reply to Thread