+ Reply to Thread

Thread: C2 very strange problem

Default C2 very strange problem

Hi Every1 ,

I`m Tiny from SA . Pleasure to be part of the forum. Huys I have a very strange problem on my C2 1.4 VTR. The car starts and drives for about 20km`s then all of a sudden just loses speed and dies. The dash lights stay on but no fault code or anything, like its fuel supply is cut. I have had her on a diagnostics machime a couple of times and shows no faults at all. I have put in a new fuel pump, cleaned the fuel lines and fuel system to make sure there`s no blockage. It has the in-tank fuel filter so i don`t know if you can change it or not. I cleaned the MAF sensor in front and the intake etc but still keeps on doing it. The fuel pump relay is very expensive so i just can`t buy a new one is i do not know where the fault is. Does anyome have any suggestions where to start looking. After the car dies I wait a couple of minutes and start the car , it then drives in first gear at about 1500 to 2000rpm but as soon as you go past that it starts judderin and losing power abd then dies again. I`m really at a loss of words right now..... never ran across such a fault. Even an auto electrician can`t find the fault. Please help........

Hi Tiny

That sounds like a blocked fuel filter to me.
    It should have an in line fuel filter, connected to the fuel pipe at some point usually towards the rear of the car.
    If you put your registration into https://www.eurocarparts.com/
    then search fuel filter you will see a picture of one so that you know what you're looking for on your car.
    They are also quite cheap for your car - around £8.

Regards

Andy

thanks Andy, appreciate the advice. Will go and have a look at that tonight. Do you perhaps know inside the fuel pump assembly it goes from the pump into some housing and then out....Whats inside that housing?

Sorry I'm not that familiar with modern petrols as I have had diesel cars for the past 20 years.
    The fuel filters are generally located towards the rear of the car though if you trace the fuel pipe along.

Full Member i lunn is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    Renault Modus 1.5 Quickshift + Insignia + Merc GLA

could be vacuum in tank next time it stops take petrol cap off allowing air into tank then put it back on if it then drives fine for same distance consider possibility that the tank breather might be blocked.

Member Regular Poster wurlycorner is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    By Loeb

Yep, agreed on the tank vacuum - not had it on a C2, but on another car.

As for where the fuel filter should be, having read on here, apparently not all C2's have one, but if it does it's number 6 on here;
    http://www.c2club.co.uk/attachment.p...9&d=1336310340
    (Not taking the credit for this - I've lifted from another thread)

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

The tank filter is located at the bottom of the fuel pump, in the fuel tank.

http://www.c2club.co.uk/attachment.p...1&d=1457168772

My C2 has an external fuel filter (as in the attachment to wurlycorner's post above), so my pump housing has two spigots on the top. Yours might look slightly different to mine, the two spigot pump housings are a tan-to-pink colour (nearly the same housing as the diesel versions). "Normal" pump housings are a milky white colour, only have one spigot on the top and DO NOT have an external filter.

I have never seen a blocked fuel filter...ever. However I have seen water in the fuel but this usual causes surging and is intermittent.

If you want to know how to remove the pump housing here is a link. http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.p...ight=fuel+pump

I doubt your problem is a blocked fuel filter but it is a place to start.
    Last edited by ozVTR; 20-03-2018 at 11:18 PM.

isn't the filter located in front of the rear right wheel, under a plastic cover, right next to the exhaust bend?
    ***7x17 Wolfrace Hustle***windows tinted***Pipercross Viper***Remus rear silencer***custom rear lights***Eibach -50mm springs
    http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?306-My-baby...-**progress-update**/page1

You plan on turboing that thing? You better start spending money on drugs, like all the normal kids

Quote Originally Posted by Kirian View Post
    isn't the filter located in front of the rear right wheel, under a plastic cover, right next to the exhaust bend?
    Kirian there is a biggish black plastic cylinder like thing there, is that the filter? Don't want to take the thing out and then break something. Will try to post a pic.

Member Regular Poster sebastian is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    VTS

I think its a charcoal canister for the EVAP system:

If there is an external fuel filter it should be on the fuel supply line.
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." - Moog

That IS the charcoal/purge canister. IF you have an external fuel filter it sits in a clip on the back of it. http://www.c2club.co.uk/attachment.p...3&d=1300279176
    In the photo it looks like that's the purge canister but I assure you the fuel filter is "piggybacked" onto the canister. Again...if its not there, you don't have one!
    Last edited by ozVTR; 21-03-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozVTR View Post
    That IS the charcoal/purge canister. IF you have an external fuel filter it sits in a clip on the back of it. http://www.c2club.co.uk/attachment.p...3&d=1300279176
    In the photo it looks like that's the purge canister but I assure you the fuel filter is "piggybacked" onto the canister. Again...if its not there, you don't have one!
    yes, that's the solution on the vts,
    Signed and approved
    ***7x17 Wolfrace Hustle***windows tinted***Pipercross Viper***Remus rear silencer***custom rear lights***Eibach -50mm springs
    http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?306-My-baby...-**progress-update**/page1

You plan on turboing that thing? You better start spending money on drugs, like all the normal kids

Classic failures that don't show up as faults are coil pack and crank angle sensor.

+ Reply to Thread