+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Part number Request / what does it do?

Newbie N.L.Howell is on a distinguished road

Default Part number Request / what does it do?

Morning,

Could anyone please confirm the part numbers or names for me.

Is anyone able to confirm the job of the brown part as I think I may be causing an idle hunt.

Thanks

06F4AE44-AD4F-4B45-B7B8-317C284B57D3.jpeg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by N.L.Howell; 28-01-2018 at 11:58 AM.

It’s the fuel vapour return valve , and connecting pipe ..

Thank you Trek, any thoughts on symptoms of a faulty one ?

Never had an issue , why do you think you have one?

Main cause of idle hunt is the alloy inlet manifold insecure so I would check that as a first thing , it’s usually the case and cause

I have an idle engine hunt, I’ve replaced the seals in both parts of the inlet and all bolts were fine, replaced injectors, coil pack, map sensor, air filter, tried a different throttle body, checked the fuel pump and replaced top lambda.

Looked over by a Citroen mechanic who gave it a once over and a software update. He was none the wiser. No fault codes either.

Hopefully unrelated but it also had a timing belt and water pump replacement.

I’m pretty much pickled. The hunt is after the car warms up.

When you unplug the vapour sensor the engine stops hunting but sounds different again so thought it was worth exploring

Thanks

Try changing the sensor for injection system temp as this can fail and not throw a fault Code , worth a try as you seem to have covered the rest , you can swap that vapour valve but never known one fail , what about the inlet manifold sensor , did you fit a genuine one with same numbers? , it hasn’t had a spurious one fitted has it as that wouldn’t help
    I have had them run rough when timing belt was a bit stretched , soon as a new belt was put on ....cured

Check timing belt is spot on , cams and crank are in the right place ,

Thanks Trek,

Which temp sensor would you recommend? it’s with my wife’s family garage at the moment. Flown through its mot. The map sensor was a Bosch replacement and not made any difference. Brother-in-law has driven it and agrees it feels a little sluggish. It has been suggested the cat could be causing the problem. It’s a 54 plate with 57,000 miles on the clock. They think the exhaust smell and performance could be due to it being blocked so they will whip it off to double check.

They will also check the timing.

It’s very frustrating as it’s a great fun run around.

Thanks again

Morning Trek,

Update for you and further assistance / suggestions required.

Two videos of the rev counter and engine bay for you to kindly take a look at. As Iím slowly loosing the will to live. Itís has to be air or fuel

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zf...tnoyAwZjrd2Qm-

the video of the rev also shows me pressing the accelerator slightly.

So I picked the car up yesterday, a number of sensors were checked including the throttle body and it was reported the throttle body was a very weak and recommend it be replaced. Oh the joys !

This is a list of everything that has been updated and changed

Both inlet gaskets cleaned, sealed and all bolts in place and refitted with thread lock (new)
    Coil pack (new aftermarket)
    Throttle body (new Ė Bosch Ė Iím still crying)
    Map sensor (new Ė Bosch )
    Fuel pump (eBay)
    Injectors (eBay sold as working)
    Panel filter Ė ( New ITG)
    Top lambda (Ebay from a newer VTS) looked immaculate

The timing belt and water pump have been rechecked.
    The cat has also has been checked

Iíve sprayed carb cleaner around the engine to search for possible air leaks, I need to check around the carbon canister to rule it out.

Itís been to Citroen with no fault codes and software update (as a favour) itís due to go back to Citroen for a further reset after new throttle body just to check itís been reset correctly.

When the car is cold, it idles at around 1,000rpm with no needle movement, as soon as its starts to warm up after a few minutes it starts to go wild, if anything after the new throttle body its highlighted more based on the throttle efficiency.

Our of curiosity would a remap be able to fix the idle to just over the hunt parameters? I know it will use slightly more fuel but It wont annoy the hell out of me a traffic lights.

Any thoughts and thanks for reading my essay?

The temp sender is on the thermostat housing ( remove air filter housing for access) When cold it tells the Ecu to give it more fuel , but if it still thinks it’s cold then it keeps giving fuel , change that and go from there , also check that the cat sensor you have changed is the right one( by part number comparison from old to new vts ) , as this could cause issues as well ,

Thanks, will order a new Bosch temp sensor.

Checked the two lambda part numbers and from what I can tell cable length is the only difference.

Do you think a remap would assist at all?

Shouldn’t need it from my experience , that’s not actually fixing it in my opinion ,really need to see what it’s doing live data wise , as the Ecu gets its info from the cat sensors , it could be a faulty sensor causing the lean /rich problem
    Try messaging user ‘Cappuccino” he’s the clued up Ecu guy that remaps etc , but as I say it needs to be studied with live data on lexia/diag to see what’s causing the issue

I agree, masking the problem was more of a backup plan/ last resort.

My little fun runaround which I described to the wife as bargain is quickly turning in to an expensive run around.

I keep saying it will not defeat me as I’m slowly turning into a mini c2 master mechanic thanks to this forum and very helpful guys such as your good self.

I’m going to purchase a clone diagnostic device as well to get some proper readings and to program my spare key.

Cheers

Evening Trek,

installed a new Bosch sensor this evening (green end one) also left the battery disconnected for 45 minutes. Took it for a spin and still the same.

I’m gutted as I thought this was the one. Would this sensor require and calibration at all?

I’m not sure where to go next.

Cheers

Is this the cat sensor or a temp sensor , How many temp sensors have you down by the thermostat housing , some cars have one, some two ( early cars one for gauge, one for Ecu temp info..
    It needs to go on lexia or diag to see live data

Sorry it’s the green Temp sensor to the right of the air box mount, i did notice something blue just behind it to the left
    Different style connector though. Also wasn’t prepared for hot coolant/water to piss out when I removed the sensor. I’m not going to lie I did brick it for first.

I’m hoping to go to Citroen Thursday evening to be plugged in as ice not decided which clone to purchase on eBay.

if it has the blue sensor then iirc that’s the ecu one , green is temp gauge ( one is in the block next to thermostat housing , one in thermostat .....

That’s just my luck, so the one I’ve replaced controls the temp gauge next to my rev counter. I’ve checked Bosch-automotive and I can’t seem to find the blue one for my car, I don’t suppose your would happen to know the part number?

Failing that I will whip it out tomorrow and check the part number.

Anything I should know about this one? :-)

It’s not n water it’s in the block

If it’s fitted it’s 0242 86 , later cars don’t have it , you need to have a look

Trek,

I’ve added two pictures from an engine off eBay.

I have the blue one, do you know the part number ? Or is it the part above? Is it only specific models that have this part?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zf...tnoyAwZjrd2Qm-

Thanks, your part number message response didn’t show straight away

I take it that’s the part In the picture then.

Final question who would have manufactured that part? Would it be a Bosch job as I wouldn’t want to buy one that will sendmy ECU onto furthur melt down.

This Citroen is going to end up like triggers broom the way it’s going.

+ Reply to Thread