+ Reply to Thread

Thread: only one key

Default only one key

i have just bought an 08 code with only one key. is there a cheaper way of getting a new fob and key other than going to the dealers. any help much appreciated.

i have a saxo 53 plate and i just got a key cut and chipped at a lock smiths for 18.he said something about it being and old type chip.
    timpsons do them ,but shop about.

cheers marrygold. i was thinking more down the lines of getting a secondhand fob and getting the transponder wiped and then re-programmed. does anyone know if this is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by marrygold View Post
    i have a saxo 53 plate and i just got a key cut and chipped at a lock smiths for 18.he said something about it being and old type chip.
    timpsons do them ,but shop about.

Quote Originally Posted by kipperfeet View Post
    cheers marrygold. i was thinking more down the lines of getting a secondhand fob and getting the transponder wiped and then re-programmed. does anyone know if this is possible.
    I dont think they can be wiped and reprogramed, but believe you can get a new transponder and program it with lexia

Quote Originally Posted by Cruddd View Post
    I dont think they can be wiped and reprogramed, but believe you can get a new transponder and program it with lexia
    cheers for that i will look into it.

Hi. Old keys cannot be reprogrammed. Your options are:
    1. You could get a transponer only key cloned and blade copyed at a locksmiths. This is cheap but the key they produce is usually a copy of your key. The car still thinks there is only one key. If you lose one of them and want to disable it from starting the car with lexia you would have to disable both and get a new key from citroen or a locksmith who does proper coding of the keys.

2. Buy a blank fob in a sealed parts bag from citroen (about 60 pounds), cut the blade at a locksmith and get a friend with lexia to code the key to the car. You wil need your 4 digit PIN to do this. This is the same as what citroen would do for much more money

3. Go to citroen and pay them silly money.

Forgot to add. The cheap transponder only key would not unlock the car remotely, only via the door lock

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

The key consists of three parts.
    The blade, which opens the driver’s door and allows you to turn the ignition switch.
    The transmitter (the circuit board). This allows you to remotely unlock the doors and disarm the alarm (if fitted).
    The RFID chip, a small device glued to the inside of the plastic case. This is polled by the engine ECU to allow the engine to run.
    These three parts are TOTALLY independent of each other. A noob failure is replacing a worn case by moving over the blade and circuit board but forget the RFID chip.
    The transmitter and RFID chip emit a code which cannot be changed (wiped), however the engine ECU and BSI can be programed to recognize the code and accept it.
    This means you can use old keys if you replace the blade.
    There are instructions in the owners hand book for coding the transmitter to the BSI but as a security feature you need (as mentioned) a LEXIA and the security code to program the engine ECU. When you bought your car you should have gotten a wallet with paperwork and user manual. There should also be a credit card sized piece of plastic with the security code printed on it. The security code for your vehicle is known to Citroen, so they do not need the card if they do work on your car.

cheers chap
    Quote Originally Posted by C2mess View Post
    Forgot to add. The cheap transponder only key would not unlock the car remotely, only via the door lock

cheers fella
    Quote Originally Posted by ozVTR View Post
    The key consists of three parts.
    The blade, which opens the driver’s door and allows you to turn the ignition switch.
    The transmitter (the circuit board). This allows you to remotely unlock the doors and disarm the alarm (if fitted).
    The RFID chip, a small device glued to the inside of the plastic case. This is polled by the engine ECU to allow the engine to run.
    These three parts are TOTALLY independent of each other. A noob failure is replacing a worn case by moving over the blade and circuit board but forget the RFID chip.
    The transmitter and RFID chip emit a code which cannot be changed (wiped), however the engine ECU and BSI can be programed to recognize the code and accept it.
    This means you can use old keys if you replace the blade.
    There are instructions in the owners hand book for coding the transmitter to the BSI but as a security feature you need (as mentioned) a LEXIA and the security code to program the engine ECU. When you bought your car you should have gotten a wallet with paperwork and user manual. There should also be a credit card sized piece of plastic with the security code printed on it. The security code for your vehicle is known to Citroen, so they do not need the card if they do work on your car.

is this worth a sot fleabay item 252117190469
    Quote Originally Posted by C2mess View Post
    Hi. Old keys cannot be reprogrammed. Your options are:
    1. You could get a transponer only key cloned and blade copyed at a locksmiths. This is cheap but the key they produce is usually a copy of your key. The car still thinks there is only one key. If you lose one of them and want to disable it from starting the car with lexia you would have to disable both and get a new key from citroen or a locksmith who does proper coding of the keys.

2. Buy a blank fob in a sealed parts bag from citroen (about 60 pounds), cut the blade at a locksmith and get a friend with lexia to code the key to the car. You wil need your 4 digit PIN to do this. This is the same as what citroen would do for much more money

3. Go to citroen and pay them silly money.

+ Reply to Thread