+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Jacko's Rally Car Build

Power steering column fitted, just need to wire it up.

Just to confirm I'm using a standard c2 steering rack with the motor and gears removed, this way the rack is as sweet and easy to turn as a non power rack while its on the bench.

I can't seem to get the c2 power rack's to work without all the c2 ecu & bsi units as I have removed all that junk.

I've gone for the Vauxhall Agila or Suzuki wagon R type of power assisted column apposed to the Corsa type B column. This way I'm aiming for speed sensitive assistance rather than an adjustable control knob which seems a bit crap to me. I still need to sort out the speed signal which I'm hopeful the rear ABS sensor will provide as it's the correct signal type by all accounts just hope the outputs work with the Agila column ecu to limit the assistance at speed.

Can't seem to upload pictures anymore so I can't show you what I'm on about.

I've paid my subs, but seem to be invisible or just nobody interested which is fair enough, but some useful info for anyone doing a similar build.

Good to hear you are coming along nicely. it's a rather big project, and takes a lot of time and nerves, and try/fail atempts... i follow the topic regulary and am impressed with the project.

P.S. Most of the tech-posts go here rather unnoticed, probably because 90% of the users are sticker-bombing their cars, and have nothing to comment on the mechanical subject...
    ***7x17 Wolfrace Hustle***windows tinted***Pipercross Viper***Remus rear silencer***custom rear lights***Eibach -50mm springs
    http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?306-My-baby...-**progress-update**/page1

You plan on turboing that thing? You better start spending money on drugs, like all the normal kids

Cheers Kirian, took the car out for a blast tonight and the steering works great, not sure if it's switching through the levels of assistance but I have connected the abs sensor wires to the speed input and seem to have plenty of steering feedback at speed.

Nice work , just read your post from top to bottom , keep it up , I am mechanically proficient so no sticker bombing over here

Cheers Trek, rolling road again on Sunday just to make small adjustments for vts cams then down to Blyton on Friday for an open pit track day test.
    Really happy with it for now, not quite as mind bending as my Kitten, but hopefully plenty of fun. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    Nice work , just read your post from top to bottom , keep it up , I am mechanically proficient so no sticker bombing over here
    true here, read a lot of your posts, was not refering to you... i was hoping on your mechanic-opinion on a question i asked (topic i started)
    ***7x17 Wolfrace Hustle***windows tinted***Pipercross Viper***Remus rear silencer***custom rear lights***Eibach -50mm springs
    http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?306-My-baby...-**progress-update**/page1

You plan on turboing that thing? You better start spending money on drugs, like all the normal kids

Hi Kirian, I'm no expert on what bits fit what regarding all the citroen bits so I'm not a right lot of help I'm sorry. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge on this site and I've had my fair share of help. I'm sorta doing my blog so others might find it helpful.
    Cheers

Managed to get back on the rollers this evening and the VTS cams made 144 bhp, no map changes where needed from last week when it had it's GT cams which made 131 bhp so it was worth doing it as I had the cams & springs on a spare motor.

Blyton Park went well. I can't believe how well this thing goes. Very shocked and very pleased. Few niggles with minor set up brake issues but nothing to change just needs a few fine tuning bits now.

I can imagine 144 must be nice! I just read your entire post and I am quite impressed with your choices.
    I never thought of using ITBís from a GSXR, it seems to have done a world of good considering your RR output! How come you didnít go for (example) Newman PH3 or higher lift cams? I know you have a donor VTS which makes sense to use what you have but is there another reason? I ask because I am in the market for Cams, I would also like to know how long it took you to install them as the Autodata states 10 hours for the job.
    What brake issues are you having? I may have missed it but I couldnít see your configuration in this thread. I ask because I have serious brake fade (gassing) even when using MTEC drilled and grooved rotas.

I'm intending building a motor for it but was eager to get it out on track and see how it went hence just using the cams I had. Regarding the cam swap its probably 2-3 hrs work plus messing with the valve springs with the head still on, that was hurting my fingers with the diy tools I made to do that so it took a fair while 4hrs ish, might have been as quick to just swap the heads. Brakes didn't fade on me with vented discs and boggo standard pad's for a 406 v6 brembo from EK Brakes, my issues with the brakes are a bit hard to explain, but basically the push rod to the front master cylinder is a bit to short from the balance bar which caused a fair problem before I even loaded the car up, but I got around it and I didn't have a dash adjuster for the bias so couldn't get the best out of it all. Also I may have the wrong ever so slightly size master cylinders in the pedal box so again I'm going to check all that out and when I get them working better may well have fade problems. Ps, I've no brake servo. Car was awesome as previously mentioned, caused a bit of a buzz on the day and shocked a few much higher powered cars mostly down to the close ratio box and plated diff, car handles that well it can easy stand a lump more power after a few other tweaks.

Shopping list, any advise will be helpful.

Dash adjuster, ordered
    Full exhaust system ???

Exhaust , the piper manifold and system was designed for the gt , if you have a vts block oil filter assembly gets in the way as gt is slightly different or go remote oil filter
    Milltek and super sprint are also good choices
    Last edited by Trek; 24-09-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Cheers Trek, My block is a gt so piper should fit, but which is best in your opinion, hoping to getting a fairly lively motor build started over winter so want a future proved exhaust even if it's not the best for this present standard motor.

Cheers

Piper , some on eBay , brand new manifolds and systems iirc , it was designed specifically to suit the gt

Hi Andrew, I think its time for an update
    Pleaseee

Haha, Right, not much going on at the moment, just going to change some tyres around before going back to Blyton and maybe have a look at the brakes if I get chance, the kids are coming with me so hopefully they'll all get to drive it with me in passenger seat on the 19th October. As it handled so well last time I'm not changing anything as I probably wont get much time to alter things if any alterations make it worse/wrong. Could do to compare it with some similar powered c2's with plated diff as I'm not sure if it's handling better or worse than standard front geometry, as you may or may not know I've used some different front uprights of a Berlingo van, I set front camber at 2.75 neg and I've given it a small amount more castor and couldn't fault it, but like I say I've not driven it with any other settings yet, and may well have made it worse than standard, if so these cars are bloody awesome. Power steering column works well and loads of feel, the car felt planted, bit loose on the rear due to my rainsport's on rear and 888's on the front but loads of feel, only on fairly basic shockers at the moment but Blyton is fairly smooth and they worked well enough. Gear linkage was spot on, just mega happy with it at the moment. Going to enter Liverpool sprint Championship and do a few sprints next year and give it a proper test up against some very quick cars in the modified production car class and get to know it better.

Newbie TallDave is on a distinguished road TallDave's Avatar
    C2 Model
    GT

Talking

Good to hear you are getting to enjoy your car on the track, enjoy, enjoy....

If you can find you way to adding some photo's of your Power Steering modification, I for one would be delighted to see it as I'm intending to dump the standard fuse boxes ASAP and that will trash all of the standard ECU/Instrument functionality

As a matter of interest I have uploaded my photos to Imgur (way faster to use than Photobucket, which you can no longer use for the free hosting Forum pics, they did me a favour there), if you open an account there you can upload all your thread photos there.

When updating your thread with a photo off Imgur, select the image you want to use then click the 'Copy' button alongside the "Direct Link" option, back here use the "Image" icon (third from the right on the Quick reply toolbar), select "From URL" then paste (press Ctr + V on your keyboard), finally uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box as otherwise the OK will result in an error box appearing.

Needless to say it is faster to do than it is to write out here....
    Last edited by TallDave; 07-10-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    My other rally car is a Nova (upside down on a spit...)!

+ Reply to Thread