+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Jacko's Rally Car Build

Full Member cappuccino34 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeG View Post
    I will be more than happy to send you my r2 steering ecu to have it next to a std one
    and play with both
    That would be very useful for sure, save me trawling through the file working out what needs changing, I'll just be able to see what they changed and that will make understanding it very much easier. :-)

Send me a pm with your adress and I ll post it to you this week.
    I have to tell you that I dont know if the ecu is fried or jusf dont work with the mk2.
    I remember reading something on a citroen sport doc but I am trying to find it to confirm.
    I might be able to tmr or Tuesday to test it on a c2 vts mk1

Cheers
    George

C2 Model
    GT

I've got two GTs here I could test it on.
    :-)

Soo,
    The citroen sport steering ecu is not working on a mk2 but is fine on a mk1 and makes a nice difference to the steering weight.
    On Tuesday it will be posted to @ cappuccino34

C2 Model
    GT

If I can get a read off the devices and if the same device is used in the Mk2 I might be able to edit the data in the Mk2 ECU to suit, which would be nice I think for VTS and Code/Loeb owners.
    :-)

That would be absolutely briliant. If you need my car for anything let me know

C2 Model
    GT

What car do you have George?

Right I'm back from the TT, was awesome, but those chaps are bonkers.

So I'm on with getting some fittings ordered for the brake and fuel lines, as it's going to be a rally car i'll need them inside the car.

What fuel pipes have you chaps used, don't fancy using expensive ProGold fittings, but regarding the fuel lines I do need max safety.

Can I use copper fuel pipe's 1/4 bsp with bulk head fittings & can the brake pipes simply go through the bulk heads inside a grommet ?

While i'm online, hope you guys are getting sorted with the steering ecu. Will I struggle with non power steering ????? Cheers.

Newbie TallDave is on a distinguished road TallDave's Avatar
    C2 Model
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by unijacko67 View Post
    Right I'm back from the TT, was awesome, but those chaps are bonkers.

Can I use copper fuel pipe's 1/4 bsp with bulk head fittings & can the brake pipes simply go through the bulk heads inside a grommet ?

While i'm online, hope you guys are getting sorted with the steering ecu. Will I struggle with non power steering ????? Cheers.
    I agree, the TT riders are bonkers, I've never been over for the TT, but have been over for the Manx International Rally on plenty of occasions so I am familiar with the TT course. I have to say that the on bike coverage was plenty enough to make my palms sweat!

Yes you can run Copper for fuel and brake lines, which is what I am doing in my Nova. There are bulkhead fittings available for the brake lines, but I haven't had much luck with the 1/4 fuel pipe so would be interested where you got those from?

My C2 has flexi lines for fuel and brake lines, not cheap but easy to route through the shell.

I've never driven a C2 with the standard steering ECU, so have no idea just how light it feels? For you I'd put the power pack back in the steering and get in touch with Andy Gwynne of GwynneSpeed C2 Championship, he's had the standard steering ECU piggy backed with a custom built signal pack which can be adjusted to suit the driver, sure it is a bit of a compromise but way better than overly heavy non assisted steering. Best of all you can dump the standard loom engine ECU etc but retain the standard electric power steering.

This is the way I intend to go come the end of the year when I hope to carry out some major upgrades to the engine/gearbox package.

Keep the updates coming....
    Last edited by TallDave; 16-06-2017 at 11:48 AM.
    My other rally car is a Nova (upside down on a spit...)!

Cheers Dave, yeah I'm going to struggle without power steering by the sound of it, but also spoke to a few lads that had power steering on different cars and also if not set right can also be a handful and hard to feel.

Done front brakes tonight, copper through bulkhead in a grommet then simply just onto original rubber flex's for now.

Fuel pipes, I've decided on rubber inner with braided outer shield, these fit straight onto the original tank couplings once the flimsy plastic pipe is removed so just retaining the fitting/connector and again no joints as I'm going through the bulkheads using grommets which is my job for tomorrow along with rear brake line.

C2 Model
    GT

The stock system varies assistance based on road speed.
    If you send a constant (high) road speed signal it will reduce the assistance. There are lots of signal generators available for the Corsa B/C/D power steering that many people use as an add-on and I'm sure one of those woul work easily enough.
    However, if I can figure out what's required to alter the stock ECU that will make it a very easy swap job with no added wiring, along with the associated reduction in reliability.

In hearing you, but I've got shut of stock loom and ecu. Got a bit done today while the better half caught some rays.
    20170618_174103.jpg 20170618_171111.jpg 20170618_164725.jpg 20170618_134919.jpg

I got the fuel lines finished along with clutch line which all seems to work well on the center push slave, but the standard in tank fuel pump only delivers just over 3 bar of fuel pressure and I've a feeling my GSXR itb's may need a bit more fuel pressure so I may have to fit an additional in line high pressure fuel pump.
    Ordered some castrol B373 gearbox oil tonight so getting there. Also done the engine oil and filter tonight.

Gear linkages are the next job on the list along with rear brake line which is nearly done, just waiting for some fittings for the hydraulic hand brake.

PS, with the ds3 ball joints I've got way to much negative camber as I'm still on standard top mounts, but should be able to tweak the holes in the bottom arms with some washers tacked on with the welder. Also gone with the saxo wiper/light's stalks, they fit ok but was a bit of work as I removed the locating ring of the saxo column, then re welded it onto the c2 column, very pleased with the results though and the indicators cancel as they should.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino34 View Post
    The stock system varies assistance based on road speed.
    If you send a constant (high) road speed signal it will reduce the assistance. There are lots of signal generators available for the Corsa B/C/D power steering that many people use as an add-on and I'm sure one of those woul work easily enough.
    However, if I can figure out what's required to alter the stock ECU that will make it a very easy swap job with no added wiring, along with the associated reduction in reliability.
    So what would be my best option for getting decent power steering using a c2 rack, can the rack ecu run on its own then give it a signal generator or would I need the shitty cambus car loom to connect it to ? which I don't have anymore. Cheers.
    Last edited by unijacko67; 19-06-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Sorry, I was out of the country and just came back.
    The ecu will be dispatched to Cappuccino tmr.
    My C2 is a vts 06 (mk2) with the even sh...ier wiring loom.

Newbie TallDave is on a distinguished road TallDave's Avatar
    C2 Model
    GT

Quote Originally Posted by unijacko67 View Post
    So what would be my best option for getting decent power steering using a c2 rack, can the rack ecu run on its own then give it a signal generator or would I need the shitty cambus car loom to connect it to ? which I don't have anymore. Cheers.
    As I understrand it all you need is the standard steering ECU connected to an appropriate signal generator, this is what Andy Gynne (he of the GwynneSpeed run C2 Chamionship) has done. What we really want to know is which connections on the ECU we need to use? Hopefully cappuccino34 is the man who can provide us with that info?
    My other rally car is a Nova (upside down on a spit...)!

Thanks Dave, I wonder if my GT steering ECU is just the same as the vts, it's in a box somewhere in the garage so I'll keep that for now and hope I can fit it later with minimal hassle.

I think the gt and vts mk1 use the same st.ecu
    Hopefully we will soon know as my citroen sport ecu has been dispatched

Getting there now, next major job is the bespoke loom, had some plans drawn up by Steve who builds looms for a living (for jet's), but helps out fellow car enthusiasts in his spare time.
    c2 bespoke loom.jpg

+ Reply to Thread