+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: C2 VTS from Poland

Member Regular Poster sebastian is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    VTS

Default C2 VTS from Poland

Late August I started to search for a car that will become my project/fun vehicle.
    After a month I became an owner of Citroen C2 VTS from 2007 which was imported from Germany few weeks before I bought it.
    It had 168k km on a clock and it was in general good condition with no signs of rust or collision repairs.
    Since I brought it to my garage I begun to disassemble it.

Almost two months after I bought the car this is how it looks today, when I finally had a chance to drive it again:

I started to work on a car by removing front bumper, plastic side covers and wheel well liners and started to apply protective layer of undercarriage paint.

Then I disassembled all suspension components:

I replaced both front bearings and hubs:

And fitted MAD lowering springs (you may also notice I replaced rubber bushing with red poly bushings all around):

When I got the car down it was sitting too low for my taste and decided to go back to stock VTS springs.

MAD spring on (just fitted so it would drop another 1/2 inch all around probably):

And on stock springs:

Now I am left with these:

Meanwhile new rims showed up:

And set of used front calipers and brackets. All front and back brakes are disassembled and going to be sand blasted, powder coated and rebuilt using new seals.

Got my new Toyo tires. Have the same model on my daily driver Skoda Fabia and these are a great investment.

Also got a set of new wheel bolts:

I really don't like long gear shifters so I cracked my angle grinder and came up with this:

Last edited by sebastian; 05-03-2018 at 08:27 PM.

C2 Model
    VTS

This is when finally found a decent GT grille and wanted to test fit it:

And when it came back from paint shop:

When I started to assemble everything:

On a car:

With a helping... paw:

I am really glad with the final result of a painting job. They even smoothened all the scuffs from the bottom of the bumper. A proper painting job.

Also got my rims powder coated white and fitted Toyo tires.

Washed them well and made sure hub contact surface is as even as I can get:

Calipers and brackets came back from powder coating:

I assembled them and hit with additional layer of clear coat for extra shine and protection:

Last edited by sebastian; 18-11-2016 at 02:21 PM.

C2 Model
    VTS

Meanwhile I hit engine cover with some color-match spray paint + clear.

Came out nice enough:

This is when I got my angel eyes/halo front lamps:

They are a decent enough aftermarket replacements. Good fit, but plastic housing has no fiberglass reinforcement in it. Hence the price probably.

On a car:

For those who have a side light faulty message on info center after fitting one of these lamps, it is required to use a proper resistor in parallel with the circuit.

One on top had too little resistance (6 Ohm) and it was getting super hot. Bottom one was the kind I used only with different resistance - 150 Ohm (second photo). It got rid of faulty message and it is not getting hot at all.
    Plus it was five times cheaper then the fancy gold one.

Since regular side light bulb is 5W then it means (P=U x I) that it draws little over 400mA of current. I measured how much current all the LED lights are drawing and I calculated the resistance required to turn off faulty message.
    It turned out 150 Ohm resistor is drawing 80mA and generates 1W of power. This is next to nothing when it comes to heat while using a 10W ceramic resistor.

This is what I used.

C2 Model
    VTS

Got some new horn signals:

Some parts that made my car drivable again - brake rotors and pads all around, steel braided brake lines, center caps with emblems, some silicone hoses, clamps, Simota airbox, MAF adapter, bottom engine cover.

Front rotors (283mm) with C4 calipers and brackets, Hel performance brake line:

And test fit with the wheel:

With center caps and black matt bolt covers:

Rear brake line fitted:

Rear caliper and bracket:

Bottom engine cover:

Custom air intake:

This is where the air gets sucked in from. It used to be a vent for battery box. I enlarged it and used MAF adapter for the airbox hose.

Some picks of poly bushings:

Last edited by sebastian; 22-02-2017 at 04:40 PM.

C2 Model
    VTS

Got a case of rusty ground pin in rear lights:

Did some basic string alignment before I went to do proper one:

She is always keeping eye on me with that judging eyes:

-------------------------------------------

I have read a thread about whistling sound from the engine bay and what causes it. I believe previous owner of my C2 tried to eliminate inlet manifold vibrations by adding
    a purpose made bracket:

I found another pic of MAF adapter I used for my air duct:

Last edited by sebastian; 19-11-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Full Member mjbrooke2 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    '06 VTS

Some excellent work there, car looks great!

C2 Model
    VTS

Thank you sir

Full Member El Cap is on a distinguished road El Cap's Avatar
    C2 Model
    1.6 VTS

Awesome car and just as awesome dog.
    Progress Thread: Clicky

C2 Model
    VTS

A friend of mine has a company that, among other things, makes custom stickers. I asked if she will be able to make a sticker for my C2 and she agreed. I started to take some rough measurements:

My aim is to have Citroen Sport combined with C2 across the side of car:

It is going to be a white sticker with cutout letters. Will upload some picks once it is on the car.

Got some LED number plate lights fitted:

Super bright:

Floor mats needed replacement:

I got a set of these 12mm velour mats:

Bought some missing trims:

Cover for bottom part of trunk doors (id does need some cleaning):

and parcel shelf:

I also purchased second hand instrument cluster:

I originally thought mine had some mechanical failure because tacho needle was not operating smoothly. There was a visible stepping action. I decided to buy second hand unit (it was only 3 quid and I was already buying other parts from the guy so no shipping costs).
    When I plugged it in it was behaving exactly the same. I deemed it had to be typical and now I have a spare instrument cluster. In case I need it in a future.

Updated stereo with these:

Don't like to solder where I don't need to hence got these adapters:

Speakers are direct fit. No clearance issues. Rivets were super easy to drill out.

I also bought this:

It is a simple device that senses 12V impulse and based on certain conditions feed same 12V into specific indicator circuit.

Reason I bought it is that in all other cars I own when I lightly press indicators lever they keep blinking three times no matter if I keep pressing the lever or not. I believe it is a comfort feature that makes changing lanes more safe?

Problem is that Citroen's BSI does not want to cooperate in this case. I was able to trace 12V impulses when left or right indicator is turned on in 16 pin black connector on BSI using below:

Unfortunately feeding 12V into one of these pins does not turn on indicators. It probably needs a feedback from the lever too. Anyhow, after messing with some wiring and blowing one fuse I gave up.

Installed new gear shift linkage:

My original ones had that awful clicking sound in front/back throw. Also noticed some play at the gearbox end mounting points.

I also bought and modified second hand gear selector (5 quid)

I added copper washers to left/right pivot lever to eliminate play:

Compared with stock item:

All put together nicely:

Since I got new LED plate lights I decided to adapt stock one as a glove box light. I solder a strip of LED in factory plate light housing:

Made some adjustment with a hack saw:

Made a paper template for glove box cutout (cut once measure twice):

Test fit:

Installing the switch:

With leads connected:

Testing light:

And finished product:

This car is not driven during winter so I decided to give a good cleaning to me wheels:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started to make plans for next year and I decided to purchase one of them 4-2-1 Ashley manifolds. Gonna run it with 100 CPSI metal sport cat and probably ULTER SPORT 104-307/70RS muffler.

Lite Member BigDaveVTS is on a distinguished road BigDaveVTS's Avatar
    C2 Model
    VTS 1.6 16V

Cool updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C2 Model
    VTS

I had a slight change of heart and decided to go full Mighty Car Mods style and turbo my little C2.

Influenced by Cappuccino34 GT turbo built and SmiggiVTS turbo built thread I begun gathering parts.

Firstly I got complete 3.5 V6 Nissan Murano fuel rails:

Only to source these little guys (bosch 0280158042 fuel injector):

Then picked one of these bosch 2.5 bar MAP sensors (0261230134):

I also bought oil filter housing from 1.4 C2. Will utilize fitting situated just above oil pressure switch to run oil feed to turbo:

Following Cappuccino34 remarks I obtained brand new 1.4 HDI intercooler that will fit into factory mounting brackets next to radiator:

Outlets diameter is 47mm.
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." - Moog

Awesome work mate. Can always count on MCM

C2 Model
    VTS

Today got delivered the reason why I have to postpone work on C2 till next year spring/summer:

Its a 20kW furnace. This thing weights half a tone and cost us an arm and a leg.
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book." - Moog

Full Member smarks is on a distinguished road smarks's Avatar
    C2 Model
    1.6 Code

I'm really enjoying this thread and look forward to the turbo build

C2 Model
    VTS

Yesterday I received a package with 1.6 THP turbo and catalytic converter from same engine.
    I cut downpipe from the cat because it is the only part I will be using. Core is worth something so I'll sell it.
    There will be a 2.5'' high flow exhaust with metal converter fitted on this engine. If I manage to weld it.

Either way, some picks:

I had to get new studs and nuts for downpipe-turbo. I also got some fittings for coolant and oil feed ready. Will wait with fitting a teflon hose till it is up on the engine though.
    Last edited by sebastian; 02-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Full Member smarks is on a distinguished road smarks's Avatar
    C2 Model
    1.6 Code

Look forward to see this going together. Excellent thread

Full Member Keaneo is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    VTS

Wow really good thread, those wheels look amazing !!

C2 Model
    VTS

Cheers guys. Appreciate the comments.

Some more updates soon.

This is mmmmaaaaddd.

this is going to be great!

looking forward to the project... very nice and clean example of a vts
    ***7x17 Wolfrace Hustle***windows tinted***Pipercross Viper***Remus rear silencer***custom rear lights***Eibach -50mm springs
    http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?306-My-baby...-**progress-update**/page1

You plan on turboing that thing? You better start spending money on drugs, like all the normal kids

C2 Model
    VTS

Since VTS gearbox is not very suitable for a highway speeds I purchased a complete 43/33 (0.76744 gear ratio) fifth gear assembly. The stock one is 41/35 (0.85366 gear ratio).

If below calculations are correct I would be able to travel 100 km/h at 3000 RPM (5th gear) instead of 90 km/h just by changing these gears. It is not much due to final drive gear ratio factor but good enough for girls I go out with.

I haven't had this MA gearbox teared apart before. I did however stripped down MA gearbox from my volvo v40 with Renault diesel engine and it looks like a similar setup.
    In volvo case I had to open whole gearbox to fish out needles from axle tripod joint with a magnet. To change fifth gear assembly all that needs to be done is to remove the metal cup at the end of the gearbox.

C2 Model
    VTS

Since I was dropping the gearbox to swap fifth gear assembly I decided to do the clutch at the same time. I obtained Valeo clutch kit #826574:

Installed on an engine:

I use a chain hoist to lift the gearbox while dropping it down or when installing back on the engine.

I have a piece of pipe welded between ceiling supports and use it for pulling out engines or gearboxes.

Some shots of old clutch kit:

It was the original part, made 170k kilometers and clutch disc springs were about to fall out. Made a good call getting new one.

Here is the comparison of stock VTS fifth gear assembly from 20CQ21 gearbox (top) to fifth gear from 1.4 Citroen C3 20CQ13 (bottom):

During disassembling:

Look at the gear cluster:

Diff gear:

Dreaded selector assembly which I modified by cutting couple of coils from each spring:

And made custom short shifter by drilling a hole and pressing in another ball joint closer to the shaft:

Left-right lever (in red) was extended by 1/4 inch. This reduced the amount of force required to move shift lever left or right.

If you ever wondered why reverse gear is so stubborn and catchy look at this photo:

Reverse gear in this gearboxes has no synchronizer assembly. This giant fork simply jams reverse gear between input and output gears.

Below is a device with a detent spring and a steel ball that pushes against selector finger. When I reassembled my gearbox I added few washers which made shifting a bit more softer.

Couple of shots during reassembly:

These T40 torx bolts securing horseshoe shaped retainers did not came out easy when I was disassembling my gearbox. I had to use impact tools set to very low and slowly undoing them.
    They had blue loctite on them. Little advice: If you don't have air tools don't try to undo them. You will end up stripping them. I learned the hard way when I was dissecting donor gearbox.

Here is a shot of my old clutch fork:

And rubbed through bushing:

Old next to new fork:

I cut both where the white dots are and welded lower part of the new fork with the upper part of old one. In result I had a fork with the 13mm longer arm past the pivot point on the clutch slave cylinder side.
    I also made a 13mm spacer that went between slave cylinder and gearbox (it is the bright piece on the photo):

All these modifications resulted in:

Fifth gear assembly swap - at 3k rpm I make 100km/h instead of 89km/h. It does not look like much but believe me it makes a difference. You can crouse with rational rpms.

Selector modifications - custom short shifter shifts shorter (self explanatory), moving gear lever from left to right takes less effort due to springs and selector lever modifications.

Clutch fork modification + slave cylinder spacer - depressing clutch pedal is like driving hot knife into butter. Effortless. Clutch engages only a tad lower then what it was before but it is where I wanted. No issues with shifting.

Pile of interior trims and seats:

Stripped down interior:

No, It is not a weight reduction mod. It is a preparation for sound deadening.

More soon.

Full Member failhappy is on a distinguished road failhappy's Avatar
    C2 Model
    1.6 VTS

Lots of time, effort and money going into this, can't wait to see how it goes

Brilliant thread. Do you have by any chance the part numbers for the longer 5th.
    Cheers
    George

C2 Model
    VTS

No, sorry. I bought just the gears a while ago and it turned out it was not the right ones. If you scroll up to the bubble wrap photo you will see that gear on the left has bigger inside diameter as oppose to gears from comparison shot (with four gears).
    I ended up buying 20CQ13 gearbox from 1.4 Citroen C3 that I used as parts source. VTS gearbox is 20CQ21. It is exactly the same gearbox only the gears and final drive are different. Shafts, reverse gears and selector forks/synchromeshes are the same.
    I was considering bolting on that C3 gearbox but with higher final drive ratio it would reduce torque going to the wheels. SO I ended up using only the fifth and I am happy with the result.

+ Reply to Thread