+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: GT Track / Sprint Car

Default GT Track / Sprint Car

Thought I would start a thread that may interest some of you about building a GT for track days and maybe sprinting.
    I had a gt brand new back in 04' and got rid of it frustrated with the lack of performance due to drive by wire throttle and no solutions at the time so I jumped ship to a Saxo vts which I got track ready.
    Anyway, I have had a Saxo vts now for over 3 years after selling my 205 track car, the Saxo is great fun and very involving to drive but getting tired shell wise.
    I always thought the c2 had so much potential but was hampered by electronics... I have been discussing preparing a c2 with friends but it always came back to the drive by wire problem... Until a couple of weeks ago when I found the forum and saw a few of you now have throttle bodies and dta!
    So a couple of days ago a chance look on ebay and a deal was done on a 2 owner sport red GT with a snapped cam belt.[IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Images

I have already started a development program on the Saxo but as it was using jp4 engine anyway I can just transfer it to the GT.[IMG][/IMG]

The Jp4 bare head with Satchell GSXR throttle body inlet manifold which was unfinished so I can port it exactly how I want to suit the head.

[IMG][/IMG]

Head after a good sand blasting.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Manifold faces skimmed to be perfectly flat for porting of manifolds.
    Not finalised specs on anything at the moment but the head is going to have 26mm exhaust valves and my own spec ports.

Quick bore scope inspection is as suspected, 3 pistons have been kissed by valves so it's a write off.
    Just need to source another engine or bottom end.

Full Member ashturnergt is on a distinguished road ashturnergt's Avatar
    C2 Model
    Vts

Look forward to seeing your progress, good thing with these is the engines are cheap!
    Be a nice spec once it's sorted
    Red C2 Vts, GR Performance Serious Turbo build- Underway

Black C2 Vts HDI daily runabout

Black GT #705 V6-SOLD

Yes it makes it real bother to swap! Got a jp4 in my Saxo vts converted to manual tensioner a with j4 cams and is really good with a 106 1.6 rallye box.... Would use all that if I didn't need to use it!

Tonight's work was to get the back end up on axle stands to inspect underneath, and start stripping the weight out of the car and getting it ready for the roll cage install..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Tomorrow's jobs will involve sorting this out..
    [IMG][/IMG]

Trader C2B is on a distinguished road C2B's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2B Stage Rally Car (based on GT)

Hi there. What cage you putting in?

Full Member mjbrooke2 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    '06 VTS

Stripping the interior was the most enjoyable jobs ive done on my car so far. Looking forward to see how this progresses and hopefully get some ideas for mine

Custom cages but only the clubman, I still want to use it on the road at times and as it's notca stage rally car the international spec cage would be totally overkill!
    Just trying to get as much weight as possible out of it but keep a few things so a normal drive isn't like pulling teeth... Easier said than done

Lite Member Vts-Gibby is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.8T C2

I have a engine for sale if your interested? Pm me if you want more info

Which engine is it? How many miles etc?

Yesterday's progress was more of the same... Stripping the interior and air box
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Rear wiper removed, tailgate is rotten along the edge so I will get another at some point
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Air box gone

[IMG][/IMG]
    Getting the seats out, anybody know how much they weigh??

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

So that's the interior nearly done, need to remove the dash to get the rest of the sound deadening out and sort cable throttle out, remove the door cards and get weight out the doors.
    I thought I would try my set of 15" speed line chronos on the GT as I was taking them off the Saxo for winter anyway.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

They look a little lost in the arches but I'm sure once I have my suspension on and set it they won't look so bad!
    Track has increased by 22mm due to offset.
    I was actually very suprised that the standard rims are bbs and very light, not a lot between the speed lines and bbs to be honest but as tyres are so much cheaper in 15" and they already have yoko ad08r's on I thought I might as well keep them until the car is running and then look at some r2 speed line rims.
    I will have them powder coated white by the way!

Lite Member Vts-Gibby is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.8T C2

Quote Originally Posted by edbar View Post
    Which engine is it? How many miles etc?
    it's on the for sale section. Nice job on the car progress so far

Better off building a hybrid , J4 bottom end and block,(stronger set up) JP4S Head, depends if you are leaving bottom end standard or going down forged rod ,pistons etc route

No difference in jp4s head to jp4 castings it is only cams and springs that differ.
    I'm not using jp4s cams, I'm using j4 valve train.
    Using a j4 block isn't really legal in most championships as really it is different if people want to get technical so I could rebuild my j4 bits into the jp4 block then happy days.

I meant use the JP4/4S rather than the J4 head ,If you use J4 block , oil filter location is already sorted as you have to block off an oilway on the JP4 block(Drill, tap and a bung in)

Thought the oil way issue was on later jp4's?
    I'm no expert on differences on the blocks but when I did my conversion on the Saxo it was something like early ones were easier ?
    It is true , I could always keep the scrap jp4 bottom end for a high comp build...

Full Member MarcCode is on a distinguished road MarcCode's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 Code

I could always keep the scrap jp4 bottom end for a high comp build...

Yes! Do that haha

Plus if I use j4 bottom end it is already mechanical tensioner so better reliability with a few revs !

Plus if I use j4 bottom end it is already mechanical tensioner so better reliability with a few revs !
    If you are using J4 Valve train,J4 cams, keep an eye on valve lift , All JP4 blocks have an oil way to block off if going spin on cartridge route

Yes mate don't worry I know all about that.
    I won't be touching the pistons so won't be wild cams.
    There seems to beca sensor by the oil filter on the jp4, what is that one ?
    Oil temp ?

Oil pressure sensor is on alloy filter housing casting ( grey plug) on a jp4

Right ok, it is next to oil filter on j4

That's the hole you need to drill tap and bung on the Jp4 or use it for an oil pressure sender
    On the Jp4 engine it links in a to the oil filter casting

Yeah so no drilling or tapping of anything .... All good!

+ Reply to Thread