+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: C2 vtr sensodrive gearbox problems

Default C2 vtr sensodrive gearbox problems

My daughter as bought a non runner C2 sensodrive vtr ministry of sound edition on a 54 plate. I have already done a bit of research and know they have their
    problems but she loves the car none runner or not to be honest she gave very little money for it and i think she would more or less get her money back from
    selling the alloy wheels alone.

I will be tasked with fixing the car or arranging the fix and maintaining the car if it becomes a runner so thought i would join the forum and hope you guys can
    give me the advice i need.
    What advice we don't need is get shut of the car and get this model as i say she loves it and is prepared to spend a bit on it .

She as been told it is the gearbox actuator at fault but i have my doubts ? Would the actuator stop the car turning over ? when you turn the key the lights
    come on electrics work etc but that is it the starter motor does not engage or anything just dead checked connection to starter and tested the starter all good on that end.
    That is what is making me think it is more likely to be the gearbox ecu ? would you guys agree ? will be getting a diagnostic read out done on it but if any of the members could put me wise on the fix that would be great.

Do both the actuator and ecu need programming to car after replacement ?
    If second-hand parts sourced with same part numbers etc and from car in same vin range would they still need programming ?
    Would both the actuator and ecu stop the car from turning over or am i right in thinking it is more likely the ecu at fault or if one goes can it take the other out.
    The 2 parts i have mentioned look very straight forward to swap, am i right in thinking this ?

It goes with out saying any help or advice will be very much appreciated thanks in advance.

Disconnect the small wire to the starter
    Try a live feed with ignition on
    With luck car will fire up

Also you need a diagnostic machine as sometimes it can be more than 1 thing

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    Also you need a diagnostic machine as sometimes it can be more than 1 thing
    Thanks for your reply not 100% sure what you mean with live feed i have removed the starter and tested it that is fine as for diagnostic machine as i said i will be getting it read
    but looking for the advice i have mentioned to point me in the right direction and give me a idea. I already know it as a gearbox fault and one of the things i want to know is
    would the gearbox ecu or actuator both make the car dead ? or is it more likely to be the gear box ecu telling the main ecu something is wrong so don't start.
    Another thing i asked if it was the gear box actuator would the ecu still stop the car turning over thanks again all advice is more than welcome.

Yes if there is a fault on the system then it will lock out the starter ( ie. It can't sense the cars in neutral etc)
    Refit the starter and do what I said , that will prove it's locked out and also prove engine runs
    Once running you will be able to see what is going on
    To do these properly and find fault use diag or lexia software and interface
    Generic readers are a waste of time
    Until you get it read you are guessing

Thanks again for that, do you mean if i give the starter motor a direct feed then it should start the engine ?.

That is a great help,if it starts i will be more optimistic going forward.
    A couple of other points i hope you could help me with if it turns out to be either the gearbox actuator, gearbox ecu or even both if i used second hand parts same part number and vin range would they both still need programming to the car ? thanks again.

Default C2 vtr sensodrive gearbox problems

As far as I'm aware yes
    There's a member on here more clued up than me on this set up
    Also check this out

http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26069
    Last edited by Trek; 21-08-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: info

Thanks for all your help it as give me some good points.

Trek your advice allowed me to start the car the engine ticks over nice ran it up to temp and everything seems good.
    The car is up on axle stands and i did try to select a gear put gear stick to + foot on pedal but no wheel movement what so ever like nothing is engaged does this point to any
    thing or tell us any thing to narrow down what the problem may be ?

No, get it read and see what the diagnostic machine spits out

I am going to get it read but as it does not drive it will be late next week before i can get recovery truck to pick it up, so was just thinking with the engine running and no drive to wheels if this ruled any thing out or pointed to something more that could be the problem.
    But seem like the symptoms of no drive could still be different things !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put it down on the floor and fire it up , see what the dash display is doing(dependent on mileage clutch will be worn down and taken actuator with it , or gear selection unit can fail)
    Read through that "ultimate sensodrive" link

Will try that tomorrow and let you know.

Full Member i lunn is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    Renault Modus 1.5 Quickshift + Insignia + Merc GLA

Where you live.
    Also does it say "N" on instrument cluster. It Needs To. there is procedure to achive this.
    Last edited by i lunn; 21-08-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by i lunn View Post
    Where you live.
    Also does it say "N" on instrument cluster. It Needs To. there is procedure to achive this.
    Thanks for that, do you mean the reset procedure ? if so i have that or do you mean something else if you do mean something else if you could let me know that would be great
    thanks again.

Reset gearbox, started car with direct feed from starter motor. No engine management light on, all that is showing on the dash is a minus symbol ? When i do get the codes read
    next week if no engine management light is showing does that not mean there are no codes stored ?

gbox fault codes will be in faults log and on gearbox ecu read, all engine management kight means is no faults on engine ecu

C2 Model

Quote Originally Posted by tom01254 View Post
    Thanks for that, do you mean the reset procedure ? if so i have that or do you mean something else if you do mean something else if you could let me know that would be great
    thanks again.
    The reset is the disconnecting of battery for couple mins, reconnect(must be good charge in battey), do nothing for couple mins. turn key to ign (not starter) and hold brake peddle untill it either say 1 or N (can take minite or so) you should hear clunking and clicking while it finds its position. I have found as my battery was weak it did not do the abouve but when good it works no prob. If depending where you live I have software.

Will get my head round it soon,the car as 3 ecu which have to be read to determine problems.
    Yes did the reset could hear gearbox clunking but when i went through the full process the dash was still the same just showing the minus sign !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for offer regarding software but we are located in Lancashire.

C2 Model

Ok another option would be to purchase kit so as you can plug in yourself I paid just under 50 off ebay which to me its less than two or three trips to dealer.

That would be a option have you a item number for it.
    Is the install just to a laptop using a cd ?
    Also would it install on a laptop running xp ?
    Thanks again.

C2 Model

Quote Originally Posted by tom01254 View Post
    That would be a option have you a item number for it.
    Is the install just to a laptop using a cd ?
    Also would it install on a laptop running xp ?
    Thanks again.
    Have look here. The same seller that i used also look at his other listings as he usually has more ending different times might even be worth contacting as he might do you a buy now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXIA-3-PE...item2a42757ef5

+ Reply to Thread