+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top mounts do and donts

Btw after changing my top mounts (used the febi ones) the ride is vastly improved. The car no longer crashes over minor potholes and is much quieter. I also changed my springs to eibach 30mm which should be stiffer than stock but they actually feel less so. Perhaps the new top mounts are compensating for this.

I just had a brand new top mount fail on my GT, garage fitted too might I add. Failed after a week, quite concerning. Suspect they fitted it incorrectly.

Just a note to say bear in mind the advice the other guys have mentioned here, mine was at low speed thank god but it was still pretty horrific.

Strut mount.jpg

This has been fitted incorrectly , they missed the load washer off that fits under the mount , you can see the shocker rod has pushed through , this is shoddy work and dangerous practice

That's what I thought. It had basically been holding the full front corner weight of the vehicle on just the rubber bushing, which obviously after a week or use just sheared straight through.

Luckily it was at low speed in a built up area but I dread to think what would have happened if I was driving it a little more spiritedly on an back road.

The guy at the garage told me he fitted everything he received and that on investigation there were two different types of this mount? I'm not sure if that's actually true or not.

There are two types according to rpo number but fitment is exactly the same ( both have the load washer underneath)

The washer is not part of a replacement kit , it is already present on top of the shocker rod

Thanks Trek, looks like the "mechanic" basically did a straight swap part for part and chucked the washer with the old part...

All good now and driving better than ever.

Member Regular Poster welly24 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    vtr 308bhp 1.8 20valve turbo

any idea where Trek has gone been trying to contact him hes not accepting messages sorry to hijack you

Bump , can i replace just the rubber top part of the mount by itself , can you simply undo the top mount bolt and refit new rubber parts ? or does it all have to be pulled apart.
    reason i ask is , had knocking over bumps replaced all the usual suspects , no change so sprayed wd40 into the rubber top mount and the knocking was much less till the wd40 wore off now back to knocking
    Last edited by c2gt16; 30-03-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Member Regular Poster wurlycorner is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    By Loeb

The only parts you can remove from above (i.e. without removing the strut) are 5 and 2, which doesn't help.

To replace 3 / 9 / 4, you have to remove the strut and compress the spring before undoing 70.

Quote Originally Posted by wurlycorner View Post

The only parts you can remove from above (i.e. without removing the strut) are 5 and 2, which doesn't help.

To replace 3 / 9 / 4, you have to remove the strut and compress the spring before undoing 70.
    nice one , great info , at least now i know what im dealing with , hate taking my car to a garage but looks like it has to go in

To replace the top mount do I have to remove strut or can I compress spring in situ to get enough clearance? Need to replace them on my sons vts as mot advisory.

Easier to take the struts off ( leave the hub assemblies on) so remove the driveshaft nuts , drop the track rod end off, bottom ball joint, drop the calipers off and fasten up to avoid straining the hose, remove the drop link on the strut
    Replace any and all worn parts ( they are not expensive and it’s easier to do now , rather than later )
    Reassembly is a reversal of the procedure , make sure you locate the pin in the correct hole

Quote Originally Posted by c2gt16 View Post
    Bump , can i replace just the rubber top part of the mount by itself , can you simply undo the top mount bolt and refit new rubber parts ? or does it all have to be pulled apart.
    reason i ask is , had knocking over bumps replaced all the usual suspects , no change so sprayed wd40 into the rubber top mount and the knocking was much less till the wd40 wore off now back to knocking
    yes

Yes , but it’s still the same procedure but you swapthe bearing across if it’s ok

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    yes

Yes , but it’s still the same procedure but you swapthe bearing across if it’s ok
    cheers trek , suspension is really not my thing , dont understand how it all works with all the tension and bits and springs , might leave this bit to a garage , last time i tried fixing suspension related stuff on a vw almost chopped my fingers off , think ill pass with this one and i like this GT dont want to wreck it , good little engine , pulls like a train top end , low end is woeful though but it is an old car, so i can forgive that . the suspension will have to be paid for this time .

edit , not woeful just my careful accelleration from 1st to 3rd , just took it out and floored it and it took off , hit 5k revs on the way up and it went like a rocket , looks like ive been treating it too gently
    Last edited by c2gt16; 01-04-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Hi All, read this post with interest, as bought Coil-overs mainly cause original rear spring broke. I had replaced both rear springs with Bilstien standard replacement springs for MOT, but it
    looked much to high. I guess the originals were sagging when I brought the car, it looked quite nice. Anyway, long story short, I decided to get coil-overs mainly to bring the back to how it
    used to look.

I had no trouble with backs, they went on fine but like others on here I was worried about what to included when reassembling fronts. My trouble is that, the aluminum spring top that came
    with FK coil-overs doesn't sit over top mount bearing ring, it is the same diameter and spring is narrower, so cant leave the ally ring out. Looks ok but found that over speed bumps it crashes
    hard as you come down the other side, so much so, that I thought my valance had hit the ground. I have also found that there is more road noise transferred without the rubber spring seat.

I guess my question is, have any of you found the same problem and how did you get round it, or did you just leave it as it was.

As always, any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by madbsc; 27-04-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Hi All, just wanted to update my previous post about FK coil-over install.

I had some questions about what to include in the re-assembly of struts with new coil-overs, so read this post with interest. However, after emailing supplier of FK coil-overs, it seems that
    you do not include the original spring seat, which includes the top mount bearing seat. I questioned this, because the top spring seat in coil-over kit is made from Alluminium and this becomes
    the new bearing seat and would wear against hard ball bearings. They contacted the manufacturer and insist this is how it is meant to be assembled.

I'm going to take them off and re-assemble them removing 9 & 4 (wurlycorner's diagram) and see how that works.

cheers

Full Member carlloeb27 is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    c2 loeb 027 red

Default Top mounts

Cheers trek,I was looking at this last night and was a bit baffled as to which one applies to me as the drivers side and passenger side have different pin location so on my drivers side looking at mount from front of car the pin holes are one at 4 o’clock and one at 8 o’clock which the pin comes through on that and passenger side one at 8 o’clock one at 1 o’clock pin through at 1 o’clock so I wouldn’t know which ones to order as all the Oem codes are throwing me off like the ones in your listing,anyway I’ve a 2007 lobe if that helps also if I bought some on eBay would the seller know which ones if I gave them the rpo number

C2 Addict Advanced Poster ozVTR is on a distinguished road ozVTR's Avatar

LOL! Trek might point out that he has already told you which mounts you need, by him linking to this post. 5038F5 is used on RPO’s from 10156 (as pointed out in his post) and your RPO is 10993. QED. Trek won’t tell you twice, even if the answer is not apparent. No disrespect intended to either you or Trek.

The passenger and drivers side mounts are both the same. Have another look at the second picture of the mounts on the very first post of this thread. The orientation of this photo is the same as if you were looking at them (mounted in your car) while you are on the outside of the car, adjacent to the front wheel, facing inwards, toward the wheel arch (on EITHER side). So if you stand at the FRONT of the car, the pin at the top of the driver side mount will be at YOUR 8 o’clock and the passengers will be at YOUR 1 o’clock. This is assuming your car is right hand drive.

Just to muddy the waters, I believe (but I’m not sure) the upper mount can be moved (rotated) to other holes in the wheel arch to change the camber angle of that side. If your mounts are not in the stock position, it MAY be because someone has decided to change the camber angle.

looking at the 2 types of top mount , you will notice the pin location is different on each , lets say you pulled the locating pin out , would these mounts still fit snugly , is the only difference in fitting shape the pin location

Full Member i lunn is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.4 HDI VTR SENSODRIVE + Insignia + GLA + Grand Modus

Not a good idea as the locating pin is there to do a job, if its wrong the geometry and therefore stering can be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by i lunn View Post
    Not a good idea as the locating pin is there to do a job, if its wrong the geometry and therefore stering can be affected.
    They don’t supply 2 different types for no reason , fit the correct type

Quote Originally Posted by Trek View Post
    They don’t supply 2 different types for no reason , fit the correct type
    yes very true Trek , the one i just had fitted doesnt look right at all , im just wondering and trying to work out
    what theyve done when fitting the top mount , its isnt flush and has a 3-5mm gap under the top mount housing
    see pics here , what do you think ?

http://www.c2club.co.uk/showthread.p...this-with-pics

Full Member i lunn is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.4 HDI VTR SENSODRIVE + Insignia + GLA + Grand Modus

is the peg visible anywhere? they could have snapped it off by accident, if i remember right its only cast alloy so it would not take much to snap it while alining it up.

[QUOTE=i lunn;419333]is the peg visible anywhere? they could have snapped it off by accident, if i remember right its only cast alloy so it would not take much to snap it while alining it up.[/
    QUOTE]

the peg is there but is loose , this isnt about the peg its about the gap inbetween the top mount

+ Reply to Thread