+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How To Replace Bulb Behind Heater Control Panel + Pics

Lightbulb How To Replace Bulb Behind Heater Control Panel + Pics

Noticed that this seems to be quite a common problem among the C2s and when I went to do this job on my GT I had to quite a bit of searching before I found any really useful advice, hence I took some pictures and have produced this guide.

STEP 1:

Remove the shelf/tray thing bellow the headunit to allow access to the rear of the panel. This can only be done using brute force. First remove the rubber mat thing (if you have one) then just give it a good tug, if it doesn't come out then pull harder! If you want more access, you can remove the headunit but I didn't bother.

Rubber mat out.
    100_0543.jpg

Tray out.
    100_0542.jpg

Leaves you with this.
    100_0541.jpg

STEP 2:

Remove the two screws with a torxdriver, there is one on the left and funnily enough, another on the right.

100_0538.jpg

STEP 3:

Use a screw driver and CAREFULLY prize off the clip that holds the unit to the main centre console body section thing. Again, there is one on either side.

I can't remember which bit you need to insert the screw driver into but it was one of the two arrows on the picture (it will be fairly obvious).
    100_0538.jpg

Once you have done this on both clips you will be left with this.
    SAM_1761.jpg

STEP 4:

Once you have the panel out (it won't come fully out due the way that the wires from the heater controls are attached) you should be able to turn it around enough to reveal the two bulb holders (but be careful not to damage anything). Before doing this you should unplug the main socket at the back, in the middle of the panel though, its quite big, you can't really miss it!

Then just get a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out the bulb that has gone.

The bulb holders.
    SAM_1759.jpg

The bulb.
    SAM_1758.jpg

The new bulb from Halfords.
    SAM_1756.jpg

STEP 4:

So all that remains is to shove the new bulb in and repeat the process in reverse to put everything back together again.

The finished article, a nice lit up heater control panel.
    100_0539.jpg

I hope this has helped anyone that wanted to do this job

1000th Instagram Follower TomTom is on a distinguished road TomTom's Avatar
    C2 Model
    MK2 1.8 RS MX5 Import & MK1 1.6 MX5 Import

Good job, thanks for this.

I've tried this in the past and failed, I'll probably give it another go now. Have you got a number for the bulbs that fit in there so that I can get them before I take it to bits?

Cheers.

on top of the little box i got from halfords it says 284, i assume this is the number you mean?

Ill have to grab me one of them bulbs next time im at work and fix that annoying light

Site Owner WTF is on a distinguished road WTF's Avatar
    C2 Model
    DS3 - Ooosh

Nice one

Full Member crispy is on a distinguished road crispy's Avatar
    C2 Model
    furio mos

as i have a ministry of sound version of the furio it has a draw instead of the tray? anyone know how to remove that? me and my brother tried few weeks ago and the draw won lol

also my clock bulb has gone but sometimes it comes and goes.. is that a simple job?

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    as i have a ministry of sound version of the furio it has a draw instead of the tray? anyone know how to remove that? me and my brother tried few weeks ago and the draw won lol

also my clock bulb has gone but sometimes it comes and goes.. is that a simple job?
    Sorry dude I've got no idea about the draw, I'm sure if you took to a dealer they'd probably be able to tell you how to get it out and as for the clock, maybe ask them about that too whilst your there

sorry I can' be of more help

Full Member Funtime is on a distinguished road Funtime's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 GT

This helped me a lot cheers
    Some people call me Funtime
    Citroen C2 GT no 0372,
    Colour coded mirror caps, Brembo vented front discs, Citroen Valve caps, C2club key ring and Window Decals

My progress thread
    : http://c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?15023-Funtime-s-C2-GT-project-log

Full Member crispy is on a distinguished road crispy's Avatar
    C2 Model
    furio mos

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj1992 View Post
    Sorry dude I've got no idea about the draw, I'm sure if you took to a dealer they'd probably be able to tell you how to get it out and as for the clock, maybe ask them about that too whilst your there

sorry I can' be of more help
    will do will let you know how i get on

Been a while since I had to take mine out, but I'm pretty sure it just pulled straight out with a bit of force.

can you get blue bulbs? to go with head unit? thanks ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmxr View Post
    can you get blue bulbs? to go with head unit? thanks ryan
    im not sure, u may be able to get them, halfords had some uprated bulbs in a cabinet when i was looking for my replacement bulb and they very well could have been blue but i dont remember unfortunately. sorry

Full Member Funtime is on a distinguished road Funtime's Avatar
    C2 Model
    C2 GT

try ebay for them
    Some people call me Funtime
    Citroen C2 GT no 0372,
    Colour coded mirror caps, Brembo vented front discs, Citroen Valve caps, C2club key ring and Window Decals

My progress thread
    : http://c2club.co.uk/showthread.php?15023-Funtime-s-C2-GT-project-log

Spot on !
    Done in 15 minutes!

Thanks!

AHA! was about to ask how to do this so this guide is spot on, thanks!

My bulbs are both working but the one one the right seems to take a while to come on? like it's warming up or something. That normal when they're on the way out?

Full Member Saracen619 is on a distinguished road Saracen619's Avatar
    C2 Model
    1.1 SX

Take the plastic off either side of the radio with the buttons on, there should be a clip either side of the tray, you have to push it in while pulling the tray out.
    Danny Pearson - South Shields - 1.1 Wicked Red C2 | http://s816.photobucket.com/user/xXaXXoXx/library/

There's a guide on the tech page I think

Full Member BartonVTS is on a distinguished road BartonVTS's Avatar
    C2 Model
    Sport Red Vts 08

Boom!! finally got round to doing this! Hardest part was turning the bulb holder back in place with my sausage fingers! Got there in the end. Only took me a year to get round to it
    Last edited by BartonVTS; 20-09-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Newbie C2dk is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.4hdi

Sry, made the same reply twice :o
    Last edited by C2dk; 20-09-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Newbie C2dk is on a distinguished road
    C2 Model
    1.4hdi

Question

STEP 3:

Use a screw driver and CAREFULLY prize off the clip that holds the unit to the main centre console body section thing. Again, there is one on either side.

I can't remember which bit you need to insert the screw driver into but it was one of the two arrows on the picture (it will be fairly obvious).
    Attachment 3555

Attachment 3556
    Hi, thanks for the guide I just cant get the damn thing off
    Ive got the 2 torxscrews and the metalplate/clip/thingy out, but the console is still stuck, wont move at all and I simply cant find anything else to remove to get it loose

Anyone got an idea as to what Ive missed?

Thanks a lot for any help - Im just about to "solve" the problem with a big hammer :/

Default 284 bulb

Noticed that this seems to be quite a common problem among the C2s and when I went to do this job on my GT I had to quite a bit of searching before I found any really useful advice, hence I took some pictures and have produced this guide.

STEP 1:

Remove the shelf/tray thing bellow the headunit to allow access to the rear of the panel. This can only be done using brute force. First remove the rubber mat thing (if you have one) then just give it a good tug, if it doesn't come out then pull harder! If you want more access, you can remove the headunit but I didn't bother.

Rubber mat out.
    Attachment 3551

Tray out.
    Attachment 3552

Leaves you with this.
    Attachment 3553

STEP 2:

Remove the two screws with a torxdriver, there is one on the left and funnily enough, another on the right.

Attachment 3554

STEP 3:

Attachment 3555

Attachment 3556

STEP 4:

Once you have the panel out (it won't come fully out due the way that the wires from the heater controls are attached) you should be able to turn it around enough to reveal the two bulb holders (but be careful not to damage anything). Before doing this you should unplug the main socket at the back, in the middle of the panel though, its quite big, you can't really miss it!

Then just get a pair of needle nose pliers and pull out the bulb that has gone.

The bulb holders.
    Attachment 3557

The bulb.
    Attachment 3558

The new bulb from Halfords.
    Attachment 3559

STEP 4:

So all that remains is to shove the new bulb in and repeat the process in reverse to put everything back together again.

The finished article, a nice lit up heater control panel.
    Attachment 3560

I hope this has helped anyone that wanted to do this job

This is Brilliant! Does anyone know if the bulbs for a 2009 model are now like this?284 BULB.jpg

Full Member smarks is on a distinguished road smarks's Avatar
    C2 Model
    1.6 Code

Thank you very helpful

Thanks for the blub info help a lot cheers.

great and thx, the dealer sais that the whole dash has to come out....not!

+ Reply to Thread