PDA

View Full Version : Driving Whilst on Mobile

petrolhead
14-12-2006, 10:45 PM
I was driving along Hastings seafront this evening, and a Corsa was right up my ar*e. I was really annoyed, because I hate tailgaters, but then when it overtook me (on the approach to a roundabout, where it didn't stop and almost crashed into another car!!) I glanced over and saw the driver was on his bl**dy mobile!! I was absolutely furious, so I honked my horn for about 5 seconds, and the stupid idiot didn't even notice! Do any of you ever use your phones while you're driving?

c2ology
14-12-2006, 10:57 PM
I usually loud speaker it!

davec2furio
14-12-2006, 11:11 PM
yeah me to with it on my knee! lol

ellis
14-12-2006, 11:13 PM
lol i talk using my bluetooth car kit works a treat imho lol..

regards
ellis

Ribena
14-12-2006, 11:13 PM
only with BT system activated! i find that i cant do two things at once :( nicx

Greg
14-12-2006, 11:35 PM
No i dont, whoever rings me can fcuking wait till im out the car.

On the spot firing squad if you get caught imo.

Rossington
14-12-2006, 11:37 PM
lol that guy is the corsa version of me! do it all the time and ignore every1 else...i pay my tax like every1 else so its my road too :D

Jaimz
14-12-2006, 11:37 PM
The word you're after Emma is whilst.

Personally if I get a call in town it gets cancelled if im on the motorway where theres generally less going on ill loudspeaker it and rest the phone on my shoulder. Try and avoid it though.

Jaimz 8)

c2ology
14-12-2006, 11:44 PM
I got a bluetooth headset never drive long enough distant to use it!

Sag
14-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I allways do it, will probably catch up with me soon enough though

petrolhead
14-12-2006, 11:48 PM
The word you're after Emma is whilst.

Actually, somebody else changed the title. I know how to spell, thanks.

petrolhead
14-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Please can whoever changed the title correct the spelling - it's 'whilst' not 'while', as Jaimz helpfully pointed out. Ta :D

Pagey
15-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Please can whoever changed the title correct the spelling - it's 'whilst' not 'while', as Jaimz helpfully pointed out. Ta :D

I saw it say whilst earlier too. Who changed it?

c2ology
15-12-2006, 12:06 AM

Emma you just can't spell lol!

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 12:21 AM
I can spell!! I got 100/100 in a spelling test in Year 9, with words like encyclopaedia, anaesthesia etc. :D I was the only one who got all of them right, and I got a merit from the teacher and everyone clapped. It was rather embarrassing, but I can definitely, most certainly spell!

15-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Don't worry Emma, I saw your original post and can vouch that all spelling and grammer was correct.

Your thread title was also "Using Mobiles" or similar. I would check but can't be bothered to shift through my cache.

Pagey
15-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I cn spel rly well innit! I wear burburry nd hve a diamond in my ear cos it is bl1ng!!

Leave poor Emma alone..... You don't want her to cry do you?

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Thanks, Mike and Matt! See, people? Now, let's get back to topic - which naughty people use their mobiles WHILST driving?

15-12-2006, 12:27 AM
When driving for a while my bum starts hurting with my phone in my back pocket so I usually put it in the front cup holder.. I've answered a couple of calls whilst it was in there with speaker on and they've always been able to understand me.

I did once take a few pictures of my speedometer with my phone though as proof 8)

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 12:33 AM
:lol: To actually prove that, yes, your car could go faster than 30mph? :wink:

15-12-2006, 12:34 AM
to prove that once in a while I don't drive like an old man!!!

Pagey
15-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Ooooh not me, i would never commit such a sin!

spooky_fish
15-12-2006, 08:42 AM
yep sometimes uses it....

its a stupid law, if only become illegal recently, and it not illegal in any other country, its another goverment scheme to get more cash out of motorist,

i dont care if people say it effects your consentration when you drive, so does sneezing, putting the heating on or talking to the passenger!

dripdrop
15-12-2006, 08:46 AM
i use mine, but i put mine in front of the speedometer and use loud speaker.
i try not to text when im driving but ill have to admit that sometimes i do, even though i know i shouldnt really. i think the only thing that would make me stop using my phone whilst i was driving was if i got pulled up or had a serious crash whilst i was using my phone.
touch wood though, ive never had or nearly had an accident whilst i was using my phone whilst driving.

Fryer
15-12-2006, 08:53 AM
i have now and again hardly ever tho. if i do i loud speaker on my legs. i get stupid calls like people trying to sell u an other phone pain in the a*re people

Jon
15-12-2006, 08:58 AM
used to do it allday everyday when i was a courier breaks up the day lol

tbh if i get bored or tired while driving ill give someone a call cant see what the problem is its only if you need to write something down you struggle lol

spooky_fish
15-12-2006, 09:11 AM
i was driving down the M1 the other day when i saw something horrid...

i was in the middle lane, and a BMW nearly smashed into the side of me, it was zig zaging all over the place...
i looked across and i saw a women drivng while puting her make up on...

It was a disgrace! I near split my cornflakes!

- (an old top gear joke)

musicaldesigner
15-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Well i voted No, as guessed you meant holding the phone, i only call/answer when using Bluetooth!

only with my hand's free kit and that is rare.

Jon
lol

thats bad adam :P

Jon
15-12-2006, 09:14 AM
tbh n this will probably piss afew people off but i dont care

imo using your mobile is no worse than eatin, drink or smoking in your car if you ask me smoking is worse cos you could burn yourself or get smoke in your eyes

and what about the muppets that read maps while driving

x_Lau_x
15-12-2006, 09:22 AM
im guilty of doing it, steer with my elbow too lol it is dangerous i spose

Jodie-Ill...Again
15-12-2006, 09:27 AM
That’s my pet peeve - people talking on the phone (as in holding the phone to their head) whilst driving- it really hate it!! :evil:

chambers
15-12-2006, 09:29 AM
im guilty of doing it, steer with my elbow too lol it is dangerous i spose

Steering with your elbow?!?!? Thats lethal..... at least use your knees, that what I do lol

x_Lau_x
15-12-2006, 09:31 AM
well when you have to change gear i have to use my elbow on the steering wheel lol its not funny i spose it is bad but not like i do it all the time

dripdrop
15-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Once when i answered the phone (before i had a phone with loudspeaker) i pulled over onto the side of a (deserted) road, and this guy pulled up at the side of me and asked if i needed any help because he thought i had broken down. awww

15-12-2006, 09:36 AM
agree with jon, eating drinking ect is ust as bad.

cliveGT
15-12-2006, 11:59 AM
before it was made an offence you still could get a ticket for it, i have handed them out :D driver not proper control of m/v :D it is one of my pet hates, and if i see it they get a ticket! no excuse! i have heard some well dum ones!! lol "it rang so i answered it" lol

shockwaves
15-12-2006, 12:09 PM
i usually use the phone when im driving, imo it doesnt affect the driving at all, depends on the driver of the vehicle and how competant they are. Ive done alot more than just using the phone while driving

Jaimz
15-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Ive done alot more than just using the phone while driving

http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/html/emoticons/wank.gif

Jaimz 8)

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Ive done alot more than just using the phone while driving

http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/html/emoticons/wank.gif

Jaimz 8)

Oh, very mature Jaimz, well done.

spooky_fish
15-12-2006, 12:22 PM
??

Jimbo
15-12-2006, 01:07 PM
I always usually use my tomtom, but i didnt the other week, 1am in the morning, texting, caught, pulled over, fined, lesson learned, never do it again.

Well and truely smacked hands

15-12-2006, 01:12 PM
No way! did you get any points mate?

Kirsty
15-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I hardly ever use my phone when I am driving, but I have done it every now and then.

Jimbo
15-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Nope, £30 and a slapped hand from PC fat ass in his Volvo, though he was a nice guy.

Wasnt even on my own patch either, was in bleedin Oldham.

Jodie-Ill...Again
15-12-2006, 03:10 PM
i usually use the phone when im driving, imo it doesnt affect the driving at all, depends on the driver of the vehicle and how competant they are. Ive done alot more than just using the phone while driving

Shocky!!!!! You should be ashamed of yourself!!!! Hope i never see u on the phone whilst driving :evil:

lukemitch2000
15-12-2006, 03:23 PM
The benifits of owning a Bluetooth Head unit. Handsfree !!! :)

15-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Nope, £30 and a slapped hand from PC fat ass in his Volvo, though he was a nice guy.

that isnt too bad, was it marked or unmarked?

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I always use the bluetooth kit in the car. it's one where you can hear the person through the speakers, which is pretty cool! 8) But sometimes it plays up and decides not to work. :evil:

Jimbo
15-12-2006, 03:44 PM

that isnt too bad, was it marked or unmarked?

Marked mate

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Did he use blues and twos? Hey, did you see that episode of Traffic Cops with the lorry that crushed the 206? In that, there was a woman driving along the fast lane, on her mobile, completely oblivious to the fact a cop was trying to attract her attention, and when he finally managed to (using blues and twos) she looked SO embarrassed!

15-12-2006, 04:37 PM
You can't get points for using a mobile.. the maximum punishment is the £30 fine.

Jeremy_VTR
15-12-2006, 06:49 PM
You can't get points for using a mobile.. the maximum punishment is the £30 fine.

Personally if I get a call in town it gets cancelled if im I'm on the motorway where there's generally less going on ill I'll loudspeaker it and rest the phone on my shoulder. Try and to avoid it though.

Jaimz 8)

Oh boy, where do I start on this thread?

1st - Jaimz, if you're going to criticise Emma's (usually excellent) spelling, you could set an example and remember to use apostrophes where required. I've added some of those, and some grammatical improvements, for your later study ;).

2nd - From Feb 2007 people caught using mobiles whilst driving will get a £60 fine and three points.

3rd - Using a mobile is dangerous. It distracts the driver from what they should be doing, and is proven to contribute to road accidents, as do being drunk, lighting a cigarette, or eating an apple. Driving well and safely requires 100% concentration.

4th - Texting is even worse, because you have to keep looking at the screen and keyboard - an even greater distraction.

One of my regular secondary roles when on duty is to alert drivers to their errors - using mobiles and not wearing seatbelts are the two most common. My best result was the guy who was so surprised to see us next to him that he dropped his phone out of the open window, whereupon the lorry behind him squashed it 8O.

/rant over.

petrolhead
15-12-2006, 09:27 PM
My best result was the guy who was so surprised to see us next to him that he dropped his phone out of the open window, whereupon the lorry behind him squashed it 8O.

/rant over. :lol: I bet he was ever so slightly annoyed with himself after that! When I'm behind the wheel, as soon as I've connected the phone to the Bluetooth, it stays securely in my pocket!

woderwick
18-12-2006, 11:39 AM
No! it winds me up big tme when I see people on there mobile.

chambers
18-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I remember going ton uni on my bike a few months back and stuck in traffic (wasn't in a rush so wasnt filtering) saw this full on posh lad on his phone so I started having a go telling him it was illegal he just mouthed off and chucked a bottle at my bike putting a lil sctrach in the tank (has since polished out) saying I wasn't police so there was nothing I could do... well actually there was, I kicked his wing mirror clean off!! He soon put his phone down.

Jodie-Ill...Again
18-12-2006, 11:44 AM
I kicked his wing mirror clean off!! He soon put his phone down.

Lol :lol:

woderwick
18-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I remember going ton uni on my bike a few months back and stuck in traffic (wasn't in a rush so wasnt filtering) saw this full on posh lad on his phone so I started having a go telling him it was illegal he just mouthed off and chucked a bottle at my bike putting a lil sctrach in the tank (has since polished out) saying I wasn't police so there was nothing I could do... well actually there was, I kicked his wing mirror clean off!! He soon put his phone down.

lol quality!!

DavyMUFCVTR
18-12-2006, 02:01 PM
i use mine when driving some times cos my bluetooth thing never works am lookin at buyin this from ebay tho any coments?
http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures/images/CellHolder.jpg

woderwick
18-12-2006, 02:02 PM
lol nice one :lol: :lol:

Jodie-Ill...Again
18-12-2006, 02:03 PM
LMFAO :D

DavyMUFCVTR
18-12-2006, 02:04 PM
lol watch everyone b drivin round with them on now lol

chambers
18-12-2006, 02:11 PM
LOL Old skool hands free :D

dazb2001
18-12-2006, 06:52 PM
I either setup my Tomtom for bluetooth or I don't answer my phone. Unless I'm on a long drive (TomTom time), whatever it is can wait until I next stop!

That and I don't have any friends so it's not a problem ;-)

vtrben
19-12-2006, 12:05 PM
i don't very often use my phone whilst driving, but the other day when i did, there was a bloody unmarked police car in front of me :oops: but luckily they just put there blue lights on and i put the phone down straight away :roll:

BLZ_BOB
19-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Well I have used it once whilst on work business and didn't care too and would never do it again. As far as I am concerned the phone sits in my briefcase or glovebox and can ring as long as it wants I am not answering whilst driving. If my missus is in the car she will get it but I won't talk to them till I have stopped, trying to answer technical questions whilst navigating a powered death bringer usually ends in something going awry. Even whilst talking to passengers they have to be prepared for delays in my conversation as I spend some more time applying my brain to those pesky road dangers. My pal has a similar pet hate and enjoys sitting next to fools that won't put the phone down and blipping the throttle on his bike, I can testify that the noise through his race exhaust is somewhat loud and would actively discourage talking.

You may have picked up on the fact I dont like mobiles and driving handsfree is acceptable but of the people who generally attempt to insert their car into the space mine is currently occupying without altering the phase physicality are nine times out of ten on a bleeding mobile. You have an answering service feel free to use it.

davec2furio
19-12-2006, 12:47 PM
i agree with jon. smoking and eating whilst driving is just as bad.

ellis
19-12-2006, 01:54 PM
i agree dave driving and eating drinking etc is just as bad lol....

regards
ellis

petrolhead
19-12-2006, 02:31 PM
:lol: I agree with Ellis! Eating and driving is just as bad...although I do it sometimes. :wink:

BLZ_BOB
19-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Yup I wil agree with that eating or drinking at the wheel is still naughty though like handsfree it can be acceptable I have a hydration pack which I can use if need be to sip water without craning your head back as if drinking from a cup/bottle/can and likewise with eating a boiled sweet is far elss distracting than preparing a sandwich on your lap!

Technically I am against distractions whilst driving that are caused by the driver, there isnt a lot you can do about other distractions but you can certainly minmise your own.